Chapter One

The door to the prison creaked open. Rusty smell of iron drowned in the morning light coming through the door made things look almost alive. The prison had an interesting demeanour. Almost as if it was mirroring her emotions.

Dark.

Cold.

Abandoned.

She looked up slowly. There stood a guard at the very end of the opened door with handcuffs hanging off his scarred fingers. Those were for her.

She will die today.

"You should confess your crimes by today since his Highness doesn't want to execute a person who hasn't spoken the truth until now." The guard said. There was barely any evidence. However, witnesses did their job of writing her a tragic fate. The court needed the confession and that's what she was going to give them now.

Bounded by fate, it ended in tragedy.
That's probably going to be the headline of the next day's newspaper.

Sasha Le Castina. Her name was enough to be hated by many. Hated by her. Hated by him.

The Lady or Sasha, as the nobles of the higher society addressed her, nodded her head silently. She wasn't sure if she could speak. She wasn't sure of anything. No remorse. No regrets.

Him.

Him.

Him.

She glanced at the small piece of glass on the hard concrete floor which was the only company she had for 17 days and 23 hours. Unsure. Probably two years. Still unsure.

Him.

The reflection stared back.

Blue dead eyes. Frozen lips.
Cold and pale skin.
Unsure of the reason she ended up here.

Because of him.

"Revenge..." She muttered silently. Slowly. Steadily.

Before she could process her thoughts, her hands were handcuffed and she was already walking through the corridor of the imperial family.

The walk to the court was memorable. It reminded her of the aisle she walked on her wedding day. The irony almost made her laugh.

The rooms were too bright, she thought. Very different from the place she now left abandoned for another someone just like her. Another one who will rot in the endless pain of hanging in between the thin thread of death and breath.

Thousands of paintings and portraits and ornaments decorating every inch of the castle glared at her. Once she found them beautiful, elegant and hers. Now it all looked like dark dead branches of a winter tree.

The guard halted and so did she. Time was running too fast too fast too fast. The huge door separating her from her death opened.

"Presenting Sasha Le Castina to the court!" The guard alarmed everyone.

Everyone.