Chapter Two

"Be honest. Did The Emperor really ask for me?" Sasha inquired once they were settled inside the carriage.

"No." He sounded almost nonchalant. As if it was the most obvious fact existing.

"Why are you helping me? and don't even pretend that you didn't know anything."

"Because you don't deserve to die."

That made Sasha look Zachary straight into his eyes. "You don't know me." She simply stated.

Zachary leaned back with a sigh. "You are wasting your life on a revenge that's not even worth it."

His words were ridiculously painful to hear. Sasha gritted her teeth as she pinned him with a sharp glare. "Those two have ruined my life. I don't care about your nonsense that forgiving is good nature or whatever so don't even think of manipulating me into your mentality."

"Manipulating?" Zachary mock gasped. "That's too harsh, my love."

Sasha's glare darkened. "Don't kid yourself. I know you have feelings for Kate. Didn't you want to marry her?" Words melted with disgust as she spoke.

"Had. I had feelings for her. I'm over it." Zachary looked away. A long silence took over.

The duke was a little restless after the confrontation. Old memories clouded his mind. Vivid and horrifying. After a while, he decided to speak. "Your father has asked me to convey a message."

"Yes?" She asked almost immediately. As if she was waiting for him to speak.

"You're getting engaged."

Sasha closed her eyes, a silent groan left her lips. She had known that her father was finding her a groom. He told her that he will find someone much better than Kyle. Sasha didn't think twice 'cause her father was usually like that but she never expected him to actually find someone. "To whom?"

Silence. It stretched for a little too long.

Sasha opened her eyes and looked at him with confusion. He was avoiding meeting her eyes. "Zachary?"

He flinched. His head shot up as he looked at her with an emotion she couldn't decipher. She had spoken his name for the first time in two years.

"Zachary," Sasha repeated. "To whom am I getting engaged to?"

He licked his lips and looked at her for a long long long time as he finally spoke. "Me."