Entry 03

Vote.
Comment.
Follow.

03.

Octavia smiled.

So this is how it felt to play hooky.

Cohaine stood beside her, his gaze fastened on her right hand, the one he had burnt –a kind gesture of course– he must have thought a glaring red palm would go very well with the red polo she had on.

They were standing on the field and Octavia's hair which had come undone during all the ruckus fell down her back and ended just above her knee caps.

Her legs were starting to bother her, so she gave in to the temptation to sit on the grass and decided to ignore whatever little demons may be crawling just below her.

Cohaine followed suit.

"I'm really sorry about your hand" He said.

Octavia shrugged, bringing both hands in front of her with her palm up.

She stared at them intently, the red one looking more distint now it was beside her normal pale looking palm.

"I usually heal quickly from stuffs like this" She said, "it'll probably be all better by tomorrow."

"Heal?"

Cohaine had moved closer to her now, his upper body was tilted towards her, the flecks of red in his eyes seemed to look brighter.

"That's a very interesting choice of word." He continued.

His face was close to her and his fingers dug into the soil as he tried to support his weight.

"I mean, I thought it was weird that you decided meddle in my business when we had absolutely no connection to each other. But it makes me curious now..."

Octavia could feel the vibrations every time he spoke travel through her.

She hiccuped.

"Are you a deviant?"

"What?" Her voice sounded a lot high pitched than she intended "no!"

"You are"

With his face this close, that smirk on his lips and the red flecks in his eyes giving him that devilish inviting look. Octavia finally saw why Talia was so invested in him at one point.

"It's just a word, I don't see how it brought you to this conclusion."

Octavia grimaced inwardly as her words came out in an embarrassing stutter.

Cohaine still had a smile on his face and he looked like he hardly believed her.

"If you don't move back, I'm going to slap you!" she warned

He blinked, she didn't miss how quickly he moved back, "Why? Am I getting too close to the truth for you?"

"Actually no, the fact you're saying all this irks me and I usually take out my anger using my hands."

It was something she always had to work on controlling. It had gotten her into a lot of fights with her brother. It was the only thing she still remembered distinctively.

One time in kindergarten she had smacked - sense into - one of her blonde classmates when she told Octavia that she was not worthy of breathing the same air as her because she didn't have a very ugly pink lunch case everyone else seemed to have.

The only reason she didn't have it was because she didn't like it, her dad would have gotten one if she wanted. But still telling her that as the reason why she had to switch seats so that someone who had the lunch case and was more worthy could take her place was just asking for a slap.

Which she had delivered.
With much pleasure.

"Sure, let's say that's it Octavia."

"Oct– you know my name?"

"You're Talia's friend, I'm sure everyone does."

His aurburn hair was in his face now, the strands in a sort of dance that left Octavia enthralled.
It reminded her of someone, someone so far away in her memory that all she ended up with was a blur. Someone who got taken away from her way too early.

"Well, then do you like me or something?" He asked.

He looked a little irked but mostly confused. He seemed like one of those people who got angry when they couldn't seem to solve a maths problem.

And in this case, she was a problem he couldn't solve.

"No Cohaine....."
'I don't like you, I don't even know you well enough to like you and you aren't even my type – well, she didn't even know what her type was but she didn't think it was him - so no I do not like you, eww.'

Cohaine titled his head at her, "You sound like you want to say more, do go on, don't let me stop you."

'Trust me, I do'
Octavia's eyes caught sight of the grass where they sat.

She knew that trampling on paths tend to kill any plant or grass growing, but could sitting also do that, they hadn't even being sitting for that long.

But despite that that, the grasses in which they sat were turning a lighter shade of green, she withdrew her hands from where they had laid flat on the grass.

The colour looked wrong.
Cohaine was paying attention to her now, his eyes crinkling in concentration as he seemed to notice the difference in the grass which they sat on and the other large mass covering the entire field

So, so wrong.
Like it was dying.

Shit!

Cohaine grabbed her hands, she flinched but he held tightly.

He let go of the left one, his focus honed on the supposed burnt palm which looked like it could have belonged to a newborn.

Beautiful and unblemished.

When Cohaine raised his head to look at her, there was a smirk on his face.

His voice was certain now.
"A komante, how cute."

"Now, now" he laughed "what was with all that drama, if I was indeed right?"

Octavia moved to argue even when she knew that nothing she'd say will save her from this situation she had managed to rope herself into.

The shot she had taken this morning was supposed to make sure this kind of thing didn't happen. Deviants usually ran at a higher metabolism than the average human.

A higher heart rate.
A higher temperature.
And with a faster metabolism to go with it.

That shot was supposed to neutralize all that, make her unable to use her powers, as long as there was no sudden spike in her adrenaline levels.

Vibrations ran through her, Octavia's head shot up.

Someone was coming.
Someone was going to walk in on them and notice the dead grass.

They had been taught enough of deviants at school to know just what this sort of thing meant.
Someone was also going to come to the conclusion that she was indeed a deviant.

Then her life might as well be over.
Benny was definitely going to be mad at her.

First, she had made herself the center of attention in a school where she was supposed to be laying low.
And now she had let someone find out about her being a deviant.

She grabbed Cohaine's arm ignoring the small noise of protest coming from him.

"How about we take this delinquent behaviour outside school?"

"What delinquent be––"

Octavia beamed at him.
"See, I knew you would understand."

He looked confused, "what are yo––"

Octavia ran, dragging poor Cohaine along just as a female figure came into view.

——————

eXvolve ©️
Heldi Myers ™️