8: How did one say "no" to 'grateful mother's request?'

“Ok,” she chirped with a small clap of her hand, her eyes intently holding mine. “What do you see? Chic and confident, or catfish without its whiskers?”

“Hmm, let me see.” I gave her a look over. “Yeah, it's catfish without the whiskers for sure,” I remarked after eyeing her down. 

“Really? Because I think if you ignore the ridiculously shiny and sticky material, and the super puffy upper part, it's kind of...ok who am I kidding? I totally look like a catfish in this,” she quipped between chortles, and I couldn't help echoing the throaty sound alongside her.

“If it makes you feel any better, I still think it's better than the blue chicken wings one,” I remarked, leaving us laughing even more at the memory of the dreadful blue gown with the ruffly 'stylish' feathers. 

Anyone who unironically wore that gown, was probably on crack or going for the met gala – there was no in between.

And so, Kara and I stayed laughing about it.

Yeah, you heard right – I was actually laughing with Kara on our shopping trip. I mean, who would have guessed it? I know I didn't. 

Yet, here we were.

Remember how I was all freaked out about spending time with Kara alone because it'd be weird and all shades of awkward? Well, I had never been more wrong.

I'd always known Kara was a nice and welcoming person – sometimes a little too welcoming. But now, outside of the house, all of that blended in with a fun, relaxed, happy personality that was pretty refreshing to be around. 

At the house, she was always sweet and all, but there was still this unspoken restraint in her every word, action and even inaction. 

It was there this morning at breakfast, when Aiden's grandma was being her usual 'fun' self; it was there even in my first meeting with her, with Aiden's grandma declaring her marriage plans for Aiden. 

But now, all of that seemed to fade away. And all that was left was the woman laughing at the exaggerated designs of the clothes that were presented before her by a very eager group of attendants. 

Although, I had a feeling their whole-souled service had something to do with her American Express Centurion Black card. Either that or they just really liked asking questions like: 'are you comfortable ma'am? Do you need something else to drink? Would you like to check out some more designs?’

And yeah, those questions came with every passing minute. 

As if on cue, one of the attendants was now asking, “would you like to try something else ma'am? We still have more new arrivals if you wish to try them out.”

The attendant had barely finished before another was scurrying over to us, with a bunch of dinner gowns in hand which certainly cost more than my five-year rent. “These are from the best of our collection. You should have a look.”

Kara examined them with uncertainty. “I don't know. These are all nice but they are a little loud and just not...me. I'm thinking maybe something more lowkey, but also eye-catching. I'm not sure how to put it,” she finished with a small sigh. 

The attendant, on his part, nodded as she spoke, but it was clear that he was just as confused at her explanation as she was. 

I, however, found myself staring fascinated through the array of gowns spread before us. And by some force of instinct, I found myself reaching to pull one out from the bunch. 

“How about this one?” I offered, holding up a beaded aqua green gown. “I think it's really nice.” And I meant it. If I was being honest, I meant much more than nice; it was stunning!