Chapter 49 "Strange Things Below"

Yang Wenbai's paused for a moment, and his voice trembled a little. Yang Xue froze, completely did not expect such information. For a researcher working in the SCP Foundation, death caused by anomalies is possible. But, erasing someone's existence was something different.

Zhang Jue frowned slightly and could probably guess what type of anomaly Yang Xue's father, Yang Wensong, had gone to be in charge of.

Yang Wenbai continued, "I reported your father's name, title, ID number, and employee number. But according to the staff's query results, there was no such person as Yang Wensong in the Foundation's employee database."

"I find it very funny. Your father was an influential person in Site-14. How could you not find any information about him? So many anomalies are under his responsibility. How could there be no record? And the people at the Headquarters replied that all of those anomalies were already contained in Site-14 a long time ago, and the person who handled them before was unknown."

"After hanging up the phone, I immediately checked the database within site and found that the anomalies that were supposed to be handled by your father on the column of the head researcher. It was indeed written unknown."

"I asked people within the site if they remembered your father, and they all thought I was crazy. As if your father really didn't exist in this world."

"I went home and found the pictures I had taken with him and found that wherever he had existed, had disappeared."

"I began to doubt myself, and I thought I was under the influence of some anomaly and was hallucinating."

"But then I realized. If it wasn't because of you, Xue, you were the one who reminded me that I wasn't the crazy one in this world."

"You remember your father too." Yang Wenbai leaned back on the sofa and looked into Yang Xue's eyes, tears shining.

"Yang Xue, that's why I told you to never mention your father to outsiders, let alone investigate it yourself."

"Because I was afraid. I'm afraid that you would face the same fate as him, afraid that you would disappear from this world too."

"Even the traces of existence are erased." Yang Wenbai finished speaking and slowly closed his eyes.

The shock in Yang Xue's heart could not be described. She never knew that this uncle of hers had been carrying this burden throughout his life.

Yang Wenbai let out a long sigh, "Yang Xue, there are many things in this world that we cannot understand. I know that I cannot stop you from investigating the truth of the matter, but you should always be careful because if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

Yang Wenbai knew Yang Xue very well, and he knew that once he told her the truth of the matter. She would definitely investigate it even if the price were her life. But there was no way around it. If it was in the past, he might have buried this truth in his heart for the rest of his life. But now, he decided to trust her, and she was not alone. She had an "all-powerful" Zhang Jue by her side.

"Advisor Zhang." Yang Wenbai turned to him, and his expression was solemn.

"In terms of ability, you are better than me, maybe even better than my missing brother. I'm not worried about that, but I've lived longer than you in this world, after all, I've seen more people, and I have a saying that I've learned from working at the Foundation for so many years, and I want to give it to you."

Yang Wenbai was about to have his memory deleted, so every word he was about to say came from his heart.

Zhang Jue sat upright and cupped his fist, "Please speak, Elder Wenbai."