Chapter Twenty Four-Cleo's POV

I never want to leave this place.

That's all I can think as Ike and I walk around his pack, him talking happily about what was what and who was who. I met so many people, and I tried hard to remember at least a few of their names. I wasn't good with that kind of thing, so it would take me a while. But I would get it.

I didn't want to leave.

But I knew I would have to.

I had gotten an email this morning asking me to come in for an interview. It was for a personal assistant position with some small family business. I didn't know who I was interviewing to work for, but the pay looked good, and it wasn't too far from my house. I was willing to take the risk.

It was time to return to my real life. I couldn't hide in Ike's pack forever. This is your pack too, Cleo. You can't just leave now. That made my heart stop. Ike squeezed my hand forcing me to look up at him. I smile a little at him and wink before refocusing on watching his guards train. He wanted me to see his best fighters, and I think everyone was showing off a little. For no real reason, every male fighter currently had his shirt off and was death glaring at all the other guards. It was a little funny to watch, to be honest.

He hasn't actually asked me to stay. I think to my panther. He marked you, Cleo. What aren't you understanding about that? That is the deepest level of commitment anyone can offer anyone.

"Ike." I suddenly say, staring up at him. My heart was racing, and I felt my face growing red. I was strong. I could do this. "Can I ask you something?" I struggle to maintain eye contact with him.

"Of course." At this point I feel everyone's eyes on us and I know they're listening. That doesn't make me nervous as hell or anything.

"I was just wondering...I know we're mated for real now. Right?" He nods. "Well... does that mean, like. I can maybe... stay? Here?" I was acting like such a wimp right now. There was no confidence in that question. But I couldn't stop my voice from shaking. I was nervous. What if he said no?

He stares at me for a moment, just watching me. My heart is beating so fast now I think it will explode. Oh god, he's hesitating. He's going to say no. What have I done? I'm such an idiot.

Suddenly he pulls me into a bone crushing hug and whispers one word in my ear.

Yes.

I'm so happy for a moment, it feels unreal. I have a mate. A mate that actually likes me for who I really am. A mate that wants me around. And I'm making connections in the pack. Lots of people today were calling me Luna and every time they did it made butterflies fly through my stomach.

Of course, that happiness is put on hold a millisecond after it appears, because suddenly shrill voices are piercing my ear drums and I can feel people coming closer to me. I whip around without thinking, baring my teeth and growling. My eyes landed on Angel, one of the many girls that were currently complaining about the new development.

"Do we not get a say in this?" I hear one of them say.

"Why should she get to be our Luna? She's not even our kind."

"We have a right to challenge her."

"Stop." Ike's loud and firm voice rings out above all the others, and everyone stops bitching and shuffling around. I too look at Ike. "You do have a say in this, and you do have a right to challenge her." He looks at me, watching for a reaction. I don't care. I knew I could beat every single wolf in this pack.

"But there will be a time and place for it. And now is not it."
"Then when?" Comes Angle's obnoxious voice. God, I hope she challenges me. I wanted to smash her face into my knee until she looked like a squashed grape. Why was she so eager to challenge me? She had a mate. A mate that I had constantly seen her clinging to. She should also remember from our last meeting in the woods she had no chance against me. With all these things working against her, why would she even risk the embarrassment of me publicly whooping her ass?

"We will let you know when it's been decided." I look away from Ike's angry fan club and up to him. He's grabbed my hand and is tugging me along; looks like back towards his place.

"What's wrong?" I ask once he's pulled me all the way into his living room. I can feel anger rolling off of him. He doesn't respond, instead he walks into the kitchen and starts messing with his coffee pot. Surely, he wasn't angry at me, right? What could I possibly have done?

"It just makes me angry. That they all act like that towards you." He finally says, more quietly than I've ever heard him speak. "They don't see you how I see you. I think you're strong and proud and smart. You're so independent that I sometimes actually worry you will never let me truly care for you." He's facing away from me, scooping dark coffee into his paper filter. His mood feels heavy. He's not saying sad things to me, and yet I can feel the weight he's carrying on his shoulders practically crushing him. "They are so determined to hate you that I'm scared they'll never get to appreciate you like I have." He turns around then, staring into my soul like he liked to. "Just please, don't let them scare you off."

I scoff then. "Do you even know me? Like a bunch of jealous wolves would be enough to make me tuck tail and run." I shake my head and cross my arms. Seriously, who did he think I was?

He lets out a loud laugh, one that makes me freeze in shock. He didn't laugh like that very often. It made me feel special, to be a part of it.

He closes the distance between us, and wraps his arms around me tightly, bending down and burying his face in my neck.

I too wrap my arms around him, closing my eyes and inhaling his scent. He smelled even better to me since he'd marked me. So clean and comforting. "Can you just do me a favor?" He says suddenly.

"Of course."

"Can you try and not kill anyone? Please?"

This time I'm the one who laughs out loud.