7. Things Just Got Complicated

Kieth POV:

Well my attempt to lighten the mood didn't help at all. Ugh I hate to say it but I wish Lance was here if only for his ability to lighten the mood. Kolivan and Ulaz just ignore it and continue to freak out which is a bit funny.

Kolivan grabs out his data pad and starts typing on it muttering something about a pack? Antok taught me about Galran packs but I haven't really wanted to or got the chance to join one.

I'm an outcast on the base really, although the blades are kind to me I don't spend a lot of time on base as I usually take back to back missions when I can. I don't really have any friends here accept this really persistent blade named Regris.

We met one day when I was training and he hasn't left me alone when I'm on base since. Honestly I quite like him he's kind and less of an annoyance than Lance. He also doesn't care that I'm a half breed or that I don't share much about myself.

He told me that he's a kit and that he stays with his pack on base. He's only allowed to fight because he is 5 years short of being an adult as his mothers species aged faster.

I zone back in as I hear the door open. In walks two very confused blades aka Thace and Antok. They both have their masks down but are in their blade suits and they are holding their data pads. They both look to Kolivan and Ulaz who are in less of a freak out now. "What do you both need other than overdue sleep?" Thace asks with a slight smirk.

"Well Keith here is a kit and he doesn't have a pack." Ulaz answers. Then both Thace's and Antok's gazes sweep to me.

"Um....hi....bye." I say and get off the table. I then attempt to escape by walking past them to the door. My escape attempt is stopped by Antok who lifts me right off the ground and sets me back on the table. I let out an annoyed whine not even caring about how childish or inhuman like it is and pout.

"How did we not notice he is a kit I mean look at him he looks very kit-like." Thace says with a playful smirk. To witch I respond with by schooling my features and straightening my posture. I then make eye contact with Thace who looks slightly freaked out by my sudden change. "How—I—" Thace sputters.

I also note the other blades also look a bit freaked out with my sudden change. Kolivan is the first to calm down then followed by the others. "Keith you need a pack it's unhealthy for a kit or any galran tp not have one half breed or not." Kolivan states sternly.

"I've been doing fine on my own." I state annoyed that they are treating me like a child.

"How have you been doing fine? Do you consider your malnourishment fine? Or your sleepless nights? Or your crazy training sessions which leave you barely awake? Or your back to back missions? Or your-" Antok bursts out breaking his silence.

"I know I have issues but I'm fine and I can handle them myself." I interrupt stubbornly even though I know what I just said were all lies. I know I'm messed up and I always have been but I don't need to be called out on it. Anger flares in me but a small part of me also wants a pack and to feel loved.

"Keith the thing is you don't have to do this alone. If you join one then you'll have others to care a help you." Ulaz says clearly noticing my anger and trying to defuse the situation.

"CARE FOR ME? HELP ME? I DON'T NEED HELP AND I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF! BESIDES WHAT GOOD IS A PACK OR FAMILY IF IN THE END THEY'LL ALL LEAVE ME OR DIE?" I shout feeling my anger burn in my veins. I let out an unintentional growl, that I don't know the meaning of and frankly couldn't care less.

HOW DARE THEY ACT LIKE THEY CARE! HOW DARE THEY PRETEND TO KNOW ME! HOW DARE THEY ASSUME I NEED HELP! WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO GET INVOLVED WITH MY HEALTH AND MY PROBLEMS?

My angry internal rant is interrupted by a soothing hand on my shoulder. I try hard to not melt into the touch but lose that fight.

"Keith we aren't meaning to hurt you. We just want to help." Kolivan states trying to calm me down.

"Help? You want to help? Well how do you expect to do that even if I did want a pack I doubt anyone will want me. No one wants someone like me, a half breed freak with issues isn't want most people want or need." I state feeling my burning anger start to fade and aching loneliness rush to fill its place.

I'd rather be angry then feel this loneliness. It makes you feel like I wanna scream and cry at the same time but I can't. It makes me feel empty and powerless. It reveals the truth, that in reality no matter what I do that it doesn't matter that I'll forever be the person everyone blames and hates.

The person who had their hand on my shoulder pulls me into a tight hug which I melt into. "Keith we will take you into our pack," Kolivan tells me breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"No matter what anyone says Keith your not a freak and there is nothing wrong or bad about you. You have issues and so what? Every living creature does." The person hugging me states who I now realize is Thace.

"We want you in our pack Keith the only question is if you'll have us as your pack." Ulaz states and all them look to me for my response.

I take a minute to think(which admittedly I don't do often). What bad can come from having a pack? I mean they could leave me but I'm used to that. They could die but then I'm used to grieving those I care about. I sigh knowing that I have already reached my answer.

"Yes, as long as you don't treat me too much like a little kid and let me go on missions." I answer. I look around seeing my pack(that'll be hard to get used to) smiling at me.

"Let's go back to our pack room." Kolivan states as he followed closely by the rest of our pack begin leave the room. Thace makes a move to let go of me but I cling onto him. I hear him quietly laugh.

"What's up kit?" He asks.

"Don't leave me," I state in a pleading tone allowing my doubts and heavily suppressed instincts to the forefront.

"I won't Keith, I promise they only thing that'll take me from you will be death." Thace responds with a protective edge in his voice. I lay my head in the crook of his neck and he picks me up. I keep my face buried in the crook of Thace's neck until we get the "pack" room. The pack room is a simple room it is big and in the middle has a nest like area built out of pillows, blankets, and matresses. The room is a bit dim like the rest of the base and has a few lamps in it. It also has a seemingly work area with books, 2 desks, 2 desk chairs, and some data pads strewn across the desks. The room smells like a combination of Thace's, Ulaz's, Antok's, and Kolivan's sents which makes sense since this is their pack room.

Thace sets me down in the nest area where the others are sitting and he sits next to me. I slightly curl into Thace's side with a soft content sigh. "Kieth do you want to talk now or get some rest?" Kolivan asks me. I ponder the question for a second but ultimately decide I'd rather not put this off any longer than I have too.

"Let's talk now, first just because I'm a kit doesn't mean I'm done going on missions." I respond feeling a sight bit of anger starting to well up inside me. I look around the nest with a slight glare looking for anyone who might object.

"You can continue to go on missions but no more solo missions for a while." Kolivan relents which slightly surprises me but I make sure to hide it deep down.

"I'm going to work out a diet plan for you appropriate for your age," Ulaz speaks up leaving no room for argument. "And you have to come to your after mission check ups every time." Ulaz adds as I respond with a slightly annoyed whine.

"When on base we're going to need to establish set rules like no training all hours of the day and skipping meals." Regris speaks up which draws more attention to my bad habits.

"Is there anything else we need to know Keith?" Thace asks. To which I mutter my response. "We can't hear you Keith you're going to have to speak up." Thace tells me. I take a second to ponder my answer, should I tell them about my sleeping habits? They'll most likely find out tonight so what good would it be to lie to them? I ask myself.

"I have nightmares about when I was younger, I usually don't go back to sleep after and I start my day." I tell them begrudgingly.

——————————————
Should I continue the story or should I end it here?
(If I end it here I'll make a one shot book about Kieth and his packs adventures)
TBC?
Word count - 1633