8. Denial

Keith POV-

My eyes snap open and I look around the room I'm in in a panic. I don't recognize the room and feel my own heartbeat start to pick up. I observe my surroundings quickly without making a sound. I spot a familiar face in the room I think it's Kolivan. I freeze and stare at the leader of the blades...why would Kolivan be here? I ask myself. It seems everything from the previous afternoon comes to the front of my mind.

They thought I was some sort of Galran kid? I look around the area I'm currently in, it's comfortable and has blankets and pillows put together to look like a nook area. There aren't any actual beds in here but there are 2 desks. I quietly extract myself from the bedded area and make my way to the door. I hear a groan and then freeze.

I turn my head to look at the other galra in the room. They all still seem to be sleeping so I leave the room. I head to the med bay, which has a few exausted night staff and sleeping patients in it, none of them notice me. I grab a nearby staff datapad that's already logged in, what idiot leaves their datapad logged in?. I enter my file and then find the age column I change the age from 19 to unkown. I know it's not right that I changed it but I can't let them treat me as if I'm a child, I'm no longer a child.

I have worked long and hard to get to where I am and I love going on missions. It's the only purpose I still have in my life, maybe it's sad to admit but it's the truth. I won't let them take what I've worked so hard for from me because of my age. I don't have to worry about datapad messages because those are deleted after their read so I head back to my room.

When I enter the room a feeling of overwhelming loneliness washes over me. I'm tempted to turn back and go back to the room I woke up in but I stop myself. You can do this Keith, you've done it all your life. You're not some stupid kid anymore and you've worked way too hard to let them take it all from you.

If they really believed that he was a young child they'd not only take away his missions but they'd probably mother hen him. They'd suffocate him and I know I can't deal with that. I can deal with a lot of things but being coddled and forced to be codependent is not one of them. I get into bed and lay down. I stare at the ceiling for a few minutes before I get out of bed and start working out. By the time I stop I can tell the daylight cycle is just beginning.

I take a shower and then change into my blade uniform. I smile at myself in the mirror, in human form, wearing my blade uniform. It has been so long since I saw myself without fur and a tail. The Galran soldier armor was extremely uncomfortable compared to the blade uniform. I go to strap my blade into his holster only to find I don't have it. Which means my blade is in the med bay. I sigh and then leave my room.

If I see Ulaz I'll pretend I was just sent to my room alone the night before. I know the cameras will rat me out but maybe as long as I avoid them they'll take the hint. I don't need to be coddled I just need to be treated as any other blade would. I make sure I'm standing up straight as I enter the med bay. I don't see Ulaz anywhere so I go and find another medic.

"Hello, I'm here to pick up some of my stuff," I tell a tall, long haired, feminine looking blade. They smile down at me.

"I'm guessing you're Keith, you stand out quite a bit, you've had Ulaz frantic for the last few days. Are you feeling better now?" They ask. I try to smile at them but it probably looks more like a grimace.

"Yep that's me, tell Ulaz I'm fine, and I'm feeling good I'm just here to pick up my blade. I forgot it here as I was a bit out of it when I left last night." I tell them. They nod and then walk off. I wait for a moment and then they come back with my blade in hand.

"Here you go now you need to sign it out," they tell me, holding a data pad out to me. I sign it and then they hand me my blade. After that I leave and head toward the mess hall. I would usually head straight to training but I'm practically starving, I guess stasis pods take a lot out of you. I make my way there in silence and then grab some food. I take a seat at an empty table and start eating my food.