The Encounter

"Persephone," Hades whispered, the echo of slammed doors lingering from Ares' departure. "Death bringer."

His eyes finally left the closed doors and swung to his youngest brother. Zeus, for what it was worth, looked tormented.

"I did not wish to know her name," he said quietly. "It will only make this harder."

This.

So Zeus had deduced as much as he. And Hades knew it was as much of an admission to his actions toward Demeter as he would get. Everyone in that room, hearing Ares' venomous words, knew Demeter would have never willingly accepted any man into her bed.

"I must go to Demeter," Zeus said, straightening his jaw. "Get to the bottom of this. We'll pry the girl from her arms if need be."

"No," Hades said, squaring his shoulders.

Zeus, unused to being declined anything, shot his brother a look. "And what is that supposed to mean? That we should just let her destroy everything?"

Hades sighed, but kept his shoulders squared. "No. I meant I will go. We don't even know for sure if she is what Ares says. His darkness was stronger than the last time I saw him, he is obviously trying to make it seem the fertility goddess does not affect him. She may not even be dark, he could be lying to distract from his own schemes. I will take my helmet and observe." Then, unable to disguise his disdain for his brother's actions, he added, "I doubt your presence in front of Demeter will help matters. You've done enough damage."

Zeus had the decency to flinch and say nothing.

"And some advice from your eldest brother - I would steer clear of Hera until she comes to you," Hades said with a note of finality, then disappeared in a black haze.

He appeared in Hera's chambers, hearing her cries the moment he materialized.

"I should kill him!" she screamed, burying her face in Poseidon's chest. He had his arms wrapped around her shoulders, shushing her gently. Hades did not doubt her desire to kill him, God King, husband, no matter what he was. Gods were damn near impossible to kill - in fact, only one had ever truly died - but he had no doubt she would be capable of it at that moment.

"I hate him," she sobbed. "I hate him!"

They were standing in the middle of her antechamber. Hermes hovered awkwardly to the side, looking simultaneously like wanting to help and wanting to flee.

"I am going to use my helmet and observe," Hades said, then turned to the youngest god in their company. "Hermes, can you show me where you saw the girl?"

"Of course," the young god said with a nod, seeming relieved to be able to remove himself from Hera's wailing.

"Good," Hades said with a nod. "Tell me, what does she look like?"

Hermes blinked, then a glassy look covered his eyes. "You will know her when you see her. She is the most beautiful creature I've ever seen."

"Beauty is subjective," Hades said in a flat tone. "That does not tell me what she looks like."

Despite Hera's whimpers and Poseidon's hushed comforts in the background, Hermes gave a dreamy sigh. "Tawny hair," he said. "The pinkest lips. Imagine the most beautiful flower nymph and give her the form of a goddess."

"Best not send Hades, then," Poseidon prodded from across the room, unable to stifle a joke even with his devastated sister in his arms. "He'll lose his mind and step out of hiding for a chance to have his cock in her."

A wave of self-loathing washed over Hades, though his features did not give the slightest inkling that his brother hit a nerve. Even Hermes cracked a grin, but didn't dare laugh. Such was the known reputation of the Dread King - keeping company with the nymphs because no goddess would have him, would ever wish to rule over the dark, dead lands below.