The Monsters

The three sat in stunned silence as Hermes' voice, carrying Persephone's words, died within the walls of the small house.

Demeter gave a shuddering sob. Her Kore was unharmed, at least physically, and that lifted a terrible weight from her shoulders. But she was, perhaps, in worse danger than originally thought.

"He's had his witch put a spell on her," she said, staring in horror off at nothing. "Hecate has made her trust him somehow."

Hera started to open her mouth, shaking her head, but her son's words came before she managed any of her own. "I agree," he said hotly. "She would have never gone of her own accord."

Hera's eyes sliced over to him. "What did she mean, Ares, that we should ask you why she left so quickly?"

Ares met her gaze and she knew her son, knew his tells. She saw one - how his eyes flashed for just the briefest moment before he righted himself. "Only what I have already told you. She lost control of her powers and trapped me and then was gone."

Hera wondered if she knew he was lying merely because he was her son. Demeter seemed in agreement with him, focusing her eyes on her daughter's consort and offering him a sad smile. "Get her back, Ares," Demeter said with conviction. "And I will give you leave to marry."

Hera's eyebrows shot up. "Leave to marry?"

Demeter nodded. "When Ares joined us, I admit I was suspicious of his motives," she said, giving Ares a sheepish, apologetic look. "He said his intentions were to marry Kore. And I told him if he helped me hide her and if he could show me he could be gentled by stopping his wars, by not taking her to bed, then I would allow it. He has more than proved himself over the years."

Oh, what madness this was. What lies had her son cast from his silver tongue to wrap both her lover and Persephone into his web? Hera stared at him, hard. He avoided her gaze, letting his eyes linger on Demeter. "I will get her back," he declared. "And then I will give her my vows."

Demeter nodded, too quickly, a look of relief on her face. "And then you will keep her safe from him."

It was a statement, not a question. Yet still, he answered, "Once I have her back, King Hades will never lay eyes on her again."

Hermes was still there, looking around at them in his quiet, awkward way. Finally he cleared his throat. "Would you like to compose a reply?" he asked the room as a whole.

The three of them looked at each other for a moment, then Hera shook her head. None of them truly knew what to do with the message they had received. "No, I think that is all for now," she said. But, there was something else she needed Hermes for, only she did not want Demeter and Ares to know. She gave the messenger a loaded look and said, "Let me see you out."

Hermes nodded and allowed her to lead him to the door. They stepped outside, the spring on the storm door squeaking as the door slammed shut behind them against the wind and dust.

"Let us walk away from the house a bit," Hera muttered under her breath. Hermes nodded and walked alongside her until she felt they were far enough away. Finally, she said, "I do not believe Hecate would do such a thing."

Hermes gave her a sideways glance and nodded. "It would be most unlike her if she had."

"How was Kore - Persephone - acting when you saw her? Where were they?"

Hermes gave a backward look toward the house, as if making sure no one had followed or was paying them any mind. "He was on his throne and she sat next to him on a stair. They had been talking when I entered, Persephone was smiling even. She did not seem to be under any distress."