The Calling

Hades knew better than to test Hecate. She had been a friend to him - one of the few companions that chose life in his dark domain. And her powers were not something he wished to test.

But it had been long enough.

He had waited in the grove for hours awaiting their return with naught but the dog beast for company. At present the monster was snoring, its bark skin and limbs creaking with each breath. And Hades, too, grew tired.

Much of his time in the grove had been spent in silence, looking off in the distance at his palace lights. He always kept the candles going for it was the only beacon in this dark, moonless place.

There were stars, though, crafted by Nyx as a gift, but they served no purpose like the true cosmos above. Simply a decoration, but they were stunning. For a while he had sat and admired them, letting his mind drift to Persephone and the bruises on her face. He knew better than to care about such things, but there was an annoying flit in his chest that would not rest. He wanted to know what had happened. Was her quarrel with Ares so bad that he would strike her?

Hades could not see Demeter allowing such things, but the goddess had not been there when he'd heard the raised voices. He thought of burly, broad Ares pounding his thick fists into her soft skin and Hades' own fists clenched.

He should not care. He must make himself not care.

She was his adversary - his fated downfall. And it was with great loathing in himself that he admitted she was easily the most beautiful woman he'd ever laid eyes upon.

Girl.

Thing.

He could not think of her as a woman, could not let his mind divert. But he could not deny that some part of her presence called to him and eased a tightness in his chest he'd never noticed before.

Like calls to like.

No. She was a vile thing parading as some innocent nymph, using her fertility powers against him to garner pity.

Hades would not fall for such a scheme. He straightened his shoulders and left the dog beast to slumber, heading into the thicker trees toward Hecate's cottage.

It was dark, as it always was, but Hades knew the path well. There the trees grew so close and thick that their canopies blocked out the painted stars and even his lit palace offered little glow. He knew what he must do, but each step closer to the witch's cottage made his resolve waver. Several times he halted to give himself a moment and square his shoulders.

It was not as if he was being cruel. He would not place her in the worst parts of Tartarus, would not make her suffer. There were quiet places there, too, tucked away amongst the labyrinth's many tortures. Twisted Fate that it could not have been someone like Ares to be his adversary. Hades would have no issue finally having an excuse to rid them all of him.

She is not cruel. She has a kind heart.

Thanatos' words echoed in his mind. Even so, he knew what he must do. His kingdom and rule must be protected so that the order of all three realms would remain intact. Though he would no doubt have trouble down the road from Demeter and Ares.

Hades didn't realize for a moment that he had stopped again, but once he did, he looked up to the thick trees above and gave a growl of anger with himself. She was just so small and warm and beautiful. Gods, the most beautiful thing to ever grace his sight.

It does not matter. She would not have you or this dark place.

With grit teeth, he made himself take another step. This he must do. He knew it as well as he knew the backs of his own hands, but something inside him bucked and protested the thought of cutting her off from everything. Of sealing her in that dark place.