S2 chapter 6: Fleeting Eyes

I opened my eyes, yawning. I had finally made it to New Jersey that night, and had stayed asleep in my car again to keep myself warm. I hadn't seen any other people unless it was some adults who were out to rebel against the PSI workers and government. I didn't know that people were rebelling... and it made me happy but also sick. These adults should've protected us from the start, but they let it happen. And it's been 4 years- just how long does it take? I was angry at how they've done nothing for us. How they didn't care until their own child became a victim. How they all hid. I hated them all.

I shook that feeling out of my head, scurrying out of the car with my backpack. I had put my jacket on and my warm pants. They made me look less thin and more to how I used to look. I smiled, feeling confident now. The sun was barely peeking over some houses in the distance, and I called over onto the radio to Cassim. "I'm here... any idea where I should go next?" It took a moment for a response.

"Yeah. Try to find a camp, not a PSI camp, but a normal one. It should be somewhere near you." I nodded, even though he couldn't see me, and started off to my left, where trees flooded over. If there was a camp, it'll be there.

...

After an hour of walking, I collapsed. The cold was biting at my skin and I could feel the frostbite eating me. I had to stop, to catch my breath, but I just ended up falling. My face met with snow, and it fluttered all around me. This reminded me of the day I lost everything.

I had to keep going, to find Jafar. He needs me. He needs to be protected. I need to protect him. Slowly, stumbling, I stood and made my way further into the forest. It was another 10 minutes when I fell again and couldn't get back up again. I was exhausted. I wanted to sleep so badly.

Then I felt a hand hover over my back, but when I tried to look at who it was, my vision blurred. I was passing out. My hearing became muffled, and I could only make out one word. "Sin?"

And then it all went dark.

...

I awoke to the sound of a crackling fire. It was a comforting sound, and the bed I was laying on wasn't too bad, either. I sat up, feeling sore all over my body, and saw someone sitting next to the fire.

I recognized that hair color...

The person looked over to me, and smiled. "Good morning." They greeted, and that face was all too familiar to me...

"Kouen?" Kouen blinked one before standing up and walking over to me. He was dressed in what almost everyone dressed in now a days; an old sweat hood and jeans.

"You're lucky we found you when we did. You almost died." Kouen explained, sitting down on the bed. I frowned, trying to remember why I was here, why was I being so careless? Why had I left Ballbadd? Kouen sighed, and stood up, walking to the door. "Get some rest, I'd like to talk to you once you're feeling better." He left. Kougyoku had always told me about her half-siblings. So this was my first time actually meeting one of them, I found it odd just how different the two were.

I got up about 30 minutes later when my body had warmed up, and made my way to where some random people told me. Kouen was inside of a large tent, and it reminded me of a movie I once watched. I walked forward into the tent, and Kouen looked up from his notebook. I sat down when he gestured for me to, and then he began.

"You know who I am. Why is that?" He asked, and I laughed nervously.

"I... know your half-sister, Kougyoku. Ren Kougyoku." Kouen's eyes widened slightly, and I could hear the slight shift in his breathing. Then he cleared his throat.

"She told you about me?" He questioned, and I nodded, then shook my head.

"She's told me about all of her siblings." Kouen's eyes downed but became more sincere and kind. He nodded.

"Good to know, I'm happy. Is she...?" I knew the end up his question, and nodded. "Good, good. Gosh, thank you for that." He looked so relived, until he coughed, blood hitting the floor. I gasped, moving to help him, but he stopped me with a hand. "I'm fine. I'm fine. This is just... a result of an accident." Accident? I wasn't going to pry. I barely knew the guy. "Now, what are you doing here?" The question was so sudden, it truly took a moment for me to respond, and even then, I couldn't. I didn't know why.

"I... I don't know. I remember being at a base, getting saved by your sisters and our friends and then leaving and now I'm here."

"Hm. Memory loss. Either this was done by a head injury or... an orange. But why...? Why would an orange attack and take a passed out kids memories of certain things?" I blinked. Kouen was right. I hadn't hit my head recently, and my brain- I knew- was missing bits and pieces of my memory. What was happening? It was a few moments after that when Kouen glanced up at me. "Do you... have any siblings? Family?"

"I have my mom and dad, but I don't know where they are." I answered. "They gave me away to my guardian, Hinahoho, after the disease started... and Hina took me here, to New Jersey. After that I discovered I was a red and had to run away with Hina. That's when I was caught and given to a PSI camp." Kouen nodded, and set down his notebook after writing a couple things down. He placed a hand over my shoulder, kindly.

"Let's get you back to your friends."

Shorter chapter than the others, BUT this is a good way to end it... WITH A TWIST HAHAHAHA YESSSSSS- srry- not sorry.

 WITH A TWIST HAHAHAHA YESSSSSS- srry- not sorry

Kouen
22
Red