< 1 >

You P.O.V.:

'A person who makes the hat gives him life. Hats have to do with emotion. It's all about how you feel. '

My hand moved methodically, the muscle memory allowed me to continue sewing the soft feather of the hat I was working on. I looked out the window while I worked, regardless of the feather I embellished in the straw hat.

"And three... two... one..." I murmured softly, my eyes still glued outside. As predicted, the sound of the train emerged, a thick wave of black smoke invading my vision. One day like another, once again.

I sighed while waiting for the smoke to dissipate. In the small town of Market Chipping, in the kingdom of Ingary, there is never anything interesting. "The same as before. No news."

I lifted my hat to eye level, turning it in the soft yellow light of the flashlight at the top, and made a face. "Not exactly..."

"Hey (Y/N), Sophie, you two should come shopping with us. We just closed the store, you two worked hard enough. Why don't you go out with us this time? You can finish this tomorrow, "the store manager put her head in the room, pointing at the unfinished hats in our hands. I looked at my best friend and a silent deal went through us. Sophie shook her head, "No, thank you, I want to finish this hat and maybe make one more."

I smiled and looked back at the manager, "I'll stay with her. Besides, I'm not so sure about the pair of colours in mine and I want to get it right. But go and have fun." The manager sighed and nodded: "All right, feel free. Come on, girls!"

Wait for this...

"Hey, wait for me!"

"Don't leave me behind!"

The girls screamed and screamed happily. I laughed, then straightened my hair . "They look like a kettle boiling too much," Sophie laughed. I laughed, so I changed my position so I could sit closer to her.

I never get tired of the headgear, with its look constantly changing; rolls of fabric, flowers decorating the walls and the excuse to mess up and get away with it. Cluttered tables and measuring tools were everywhere you looked. Although shaggy and disorganised, the workspace always seemed like it was supposed to be. 'If it were well organised by colour, it wouldn't give me the same feeling of warmth and joy,' I thought.

The peaceful and peaceful atmosphere gave me a clear mind and a new inspiration on how to improve. The smell of freshly cut wood and mint on Sophie's workstation fortunately dominated the intense perfumes that the girls wore. I leaned on the soft cushion of my chair, hoping to relieve my back pain a little, squeezing my eyes while sticking the thread in the needle. 'I've been sitting in this place for a long time, I should get up later. Maybe pay a visit to- '

"Oh man, look, it's Howl's Castle!"

The needle I was holding slipped out of my hand when I jumped a little on the seat due to the shock. "Oh!" I inspected my finger, hoping I wouldn't get the hat I was working on. I sighed with relief when the hat came out unharmed. "Are you okay?" Sophie asked, worried. "Yes," smiles, turning my gaze to see what the girls were doing this time.

All the girls whispered and laughed excitedly, running to the window, squeezing and squeezing each other, trying to take a look. That single sentence caught everyone's attention. I rolled my eyes as I heard your conversation about the rumours of the infamous wizard who supposedly stole and ate the hearts of beautiful women. It seems so.

"He's gone," said a girl as she looked melancholy out. All the girls sighed and started chattering again, picking up their skirts and leaving. After the girls left, I went back to my way of working, cleaning all my thoughts, focussing on the hat in front of me.

The warm and comfortable silence fell as I combined and mixed fabrics and ornaments for the next hat. Happy and satisfied with my final project, I looked at Sophie and smiled at how focussed she was. Since we were kids, she has always been the most serious and quiet. Along the way, I got her habit of not stopping at what we were working on until it was almost perfect.

Taking another hat and waiting for more inspiration, I looked out the window, waiting for the train to pass again. My mind went blank while trying to think of something to add to the hat.

I distractedly took a pale pink rose and lifted a sky blue ribbon and grass green. "Tell me, Sophie, which one suits this best?" She raised her head and took a look, "I'd say that green makes it look natural." I shook my head accordingly and put it aside to work tomorrow.

Stretching my legs and arms, I got up. "Do you want to go visit Lettie?" Sophie took a look at her finished hat and got up from her seat. "Of course, I wanted to buy a box of her eclairs anyway," she smiled and dusted her skirt.

I sighed dreamily in agreement. Lettie's éclairs were the best in this small town. The perfect balance of cream and chocolate on top with the texture of the dough was phenomenal. Sophie took the hat from the wooden table and pushed the chair.

"Come on!"

——————————————————

A/N

- 937 words! Yay
- I will try to upload whenever I can❤️

Have a good day/night

❤️ your sleep deprived reader