< 13 >

Sophie P.O.V.:

I focussed as much as I could on the green coat I was patching up for Markl. A seam tore and my hands moved as if a metronome was marking the time. The sky was dark blue, fading into black. The moon shone, and I opened the window a little to let some fresh air in. A small kerosine lamp was supported near the boxes Howl had given me. I didn't bother opening them. None of them could relieve the pain in me.

I lifted my eyes from the seam just in time to hear the door open. Markl stuck his head with Heng by his side.

"Good evening, Sophie," he said timidly.

"Good evening, Markl."

The door started closing when he suddenly came back. "Oh, don't worry about Master Howl, Sophie. Sometimes he likes to stay out for days."

I blinked. "Thank you, it's good to know."

'That's not what I'm worrying about...'

I couldn't concentrate. Why was I being so selfish? Why was I feeling that way? I know Howl doesn't belong to me. He's not my property...

'No, but he's the prince of your dreams,' a little voice jumped into my head.

My mind was cloudy with confusion and mixed emotions. Shaking a little, I stretched my legs and went to put the Witch of the waste in bed.

"Do you need anything else?" My voice faltered.

"No, I'm fine," she replied with a silly smile.

"It's okay. Good evening then." I said, going to my own bed when she stopped me.

"You're in love."

I froze, with my back to her.

"Don't deny it; you've been sighing all day," she looked at me jokingly. A feeling of tightness grabbed at my heart while reminding me of (Y/N) to use the same tone to provoke me.

'But I don't need it.'

Maybe this witch can offer good advice. I crossed the room to sit at the foot of the being, with my hands on my lap. Exhaling, I stared at my hands. "Have you ever been in love?" I whispered.

"Of course I do. I still am," she replied with her bulging eyes. "Young people are so hard to deal with... but I just love their hearts!"

Judging, I looked at her. "You're terrible."

"And they're so cute too!" Your eyes got bigger than before and I shuddered.

I kept looking at the dark sky, thinking about how this conversation would be different and more vigourous if (Y/N) were here.

'She hurt you. You don't have to waste time with her.'

Suddenly, the sirens started ringing outside. "What is this?" I asked the Witch, getting up to look closer. "It's an air attack," she calmly said with the same crooked smile. "An air attack?" I walked away from the window.

"It's far away," she assured. "But you shouldn't go out tonight, dear! I'm sure Sulliman's henchmen are looking everywhere for this place."

Everything was silent for a few seconds and, once again, the Witch's eyes were attracted to Calcifer. "What a good fire. He keeps this house so well hidden..."

You P.O.V.:

I woke up with the empty house and my heart beat. "Calcifer?"

I stuck my feet in my slippers and wandered around the house. "Sophie? Markl?"

I tried to open the doors, but they were locked. Shaking off the cold handles, I frantically hit the wood.

"Please, someone?" I panicked. "Is everyone okay? Why don't any of you answer me?"