< 2 >

You P.O.V.:

Stretching my legs and arms, I got up. "Do you want to go visit Lettie?" Sophie took a look at her finished hat and got up from her seat. "Of course, I wanted to buy a box of her eclairs anyway," she smiled and dusted her skirt.

I sighed dreamily in agreement. Lettie's éclairs were the best in this small town. The perfect balance of cream and chocolate on top with the texture of the dough was phenomenal. Sophie took the hat from the wooden table and pushed the chair.

"Come on!"

Going down the stairs running, almost tripping over our skirts, we laughed and ran to the big road. Stopping for a minute, I had a sudden idea.

"Race with you?" I smile. My legs were getting hard to sit at the table for so long, and it's been a long time since we ran along the roads. "Does the loser convince Lettie to give them three boxes of free eclairs?" She laughed.

"Oh, you're on."

We turned to run in different directions and she hesitated. "You know that this is not the way to Lettie's house, right?"

I just blinked and ran away. The direction Sophie was going may be the way to the bakery, but it didn't mean it was the only way. I looked around me to make sure she wasn't following me. This shortcut was special; I discovered and would love to see Sophie's face when I get there ten minutes before her.

It's not special to me the way it was a hiding place when things got bad or some kind of heartbreaking story that led me to find it. No, nothing like that. It's simply special to me because one day I stumbled upon him and found out where he was taking me. Sometimes it's good to just have a place that belongs to you, a place that you can claim as yours, without anyone knowing.

Getting lost in thoughts, I managed to stop in time before almost awkwardly bumping into a guard who was now turning all his attention to me. An affected smile appeared in the corners of his mouth and I faltered. "Sorry," I murmured, so I tried to deviate from them and continue my way.

"Hey, it looks like a little mouse got lost," his friend looked over his shoulder, giving the same scary smile. "The little mouse looks thirsty, we should take her for a cup of tea," suggested the guard and reached out to touch me on the shoulder. Stiffening and trying to retreat, I panicked and tried to stay calm.

"No, thank you, someone is waiting for me, so if you can-"

"She's too pretty for a mouse."

Trembling with anger and fear, I stared at them directly in the eye. One of the guards began to approach, reaching out to me, so I slapped him in the hand and tried to run, but his friend had blocked the way behind me and I was cornered. The guard in front of you slowly removed his hand, "How old are you, anyway? Do you live around here?"

I've put together my courage. "Leave me alone!"

"Do you see? Your moustache scares all the girls," complained the first.

"So what? I think they are even cuter when they're afraid," he shrugged.

Trying to figure out a way out of this situation, I forced my head for a solution. No way would I let these two guys take advantage of me. 'I can't do anything. If I try to kick one of them, the other will still grab me. What if I-'

I got tense to feel someone's hand on my shoulder.

"There you are, dear, sorry I'm late. I've been looking for you everywhere," came a silky voice behind me.

I tried to turn my head to see her face, but I was still paralysed with shock.

"Hey, hey, we're busy here," one of them stared at it.

"Really? To me, it seemed like you two were leaving ~" the man behind me replied. I could hear the tone of fun in his voice.

Out of nowhere, the guards rose straight, marching far away, as if someone were controlling them against their will. 'What?'

Noises of grumbling and panic emitted by his retreating figures, and I turned my head slowly to see my saviour.

Blue eyes, messy blonde fringe and shoulder-length hair, a pink Argyle jacket printed on the shoulders and jade jewellery adorned their ears and neck. A gentle smile was on his face and I relaxed. "Don't hold it against them," he said with the same soft and melodic voice. "They're not so bad."

I tried to answer, but I didn't know what to say. I realised that your hand was still on my shoulder and I felt my face warm up. "Where to? I'll be your companion tonight," he looked at me. "W-who are you?" I finally did it.

Taking his gaze off me, he grabbed my hand and started walking. "Don't be scared, but I'm being followed. Act normally."

"Who are you being followed by?"

"Not who, what."

A little more than a few seconds later, I realised what he was talking about. Black and sticky bubbles materialised from cracks and cracks in the walls and roads, making an effort to chase both of us. He kept his composure calm, but started walking faster. My head turned with questions. "But what are they-?"

"Sorry, it looks like you're involved," he turned sharply in a corner. "This way." Her hot hand in mine looked familiar, but I pushed her away. I've never met this man before in my entire life. More and more creatures began to leak and blocked all means of escape. My eyes widened when I started to move away from one of them, and it happened to bump into the wizard, who smiled.

"Hang on," he warned before grabbing my waist and taking off, jumping in the air. I choked with surprise and admiration as I watched Ingary's people singing and dancing, the colours looking more vibrant now that I was seeing it in the sight of a bird. "But how?" I asked softly, hypnotised by the feeling of lightness in the air.

The man let go of my waist and I tripped a little before he grabbed my two hands and floated behind me. "Now straighten your legs," I did what I said. "And start walking," he finished, smiling at me. The feeling of walking through the air was marvellous; it seemed to fly and fall at the same time, the joy dominating me. "Wow," I said breathless, my (E/C) eyes shining.

"See? It's not that hard, is it?" He laughed softly, making my heart beat hard. "You, my dear, are a natural."

I closed my eyes and felt the flow of fresh and clear air around me, the sun kissing my cheeks.

"Now, where are we going?"

"Oh!" My eyes were opened. I had completely forgotten Sophie and Lettie! "The bakery, if you don't mind."

"For a pretty girl like you? Anything," he smiled as he guided me through the clouds, as if we were dancing. After what seemed like just a few moments of flight hovering in the air, we landed on the balcony of Lettie's bakery, slowly descending until my feet hit the wood very silently.

I hesitated before taking a step. "Wait a little before going back outside; I'll draw them away, okay?"

I shook my head, still wondering if this was a dream or if all this had really happened. "Okay." He smiled and held my right hand again, kissing my fingers. "That's my girl," he whispered before getting up on the parapet. I blushed intensely and he laughed, jumping into the balloons and diving into the streets. I choked in horror and ran, just to find no trace of the man below.

I sighed with relief and saw Sophie and Lettie's worried faces quickly approach.
"(Y/N)!" Sophie cried before getting me involved in a hug.

"Where were you? I thought you were - you were in trouble or something and I couldn't forgive myself if you disappeared!"

"I'm fine, Sophie," I laughed, hugging her back.

"What's going on? Someone told me you floated to our balcony!" Lettie spoke, grabbing my hands with concern.

I looked back to the sky where I was just walking a few moments ago.

"So that happened," I whispered with admiration. "It wasn't a dream."