< 15 >

You P.O.V.:

I couldn't help it, but I started pacing, worried about Howl. 'He should have come back by now...'

It didn't help with the war that was happening. My nerves were getting worse. After discovering a little, if not all the truth between the Witch of Waste and Sophie's mother, the Witch went to rest once again in her corner, exhausted by the emotional stress

Markl was somewhere around the castle and Calcifer could still barely stand it. Howl needed to hurry, if not for me, for his friend. I didn't know how long Calcifer would last.

I knew I had to go and try my best to find him.

Biting my lip, I ran to get my coat to go out, pulling my (H/C) hair back so as to not get in the way. I stared at Calcifer's ashes and left out the door with determination, only to be interrupted by someone who was in my way.

Sophie. Sophie?

Blinking, I stepped back a little to look at her standing in front of me. "What do you want, Sophie?" I asked with a frown on my lips, but with a slight tremor in my voice.

"Where do you think you're going? And in this war?" She asked as she looked down at me, pulling herself as high as she could, making my heart warm up a little inside.

"I'm going out and try to find Howl," I said, putting a lock of hair behind my ear nervously. "I'm worried about him, and Calcifer is still not doing very well. We need Howl, Sophie, and you can't stop me."

Sophie narrowed her eyes to me with scepticism, "Oh, really? And how do you plan to find him? He could be anywhere and I don't think I don't see it through you. You just want to try to be alone with Howl so that you two can run together and leave me behind in the dust! "She spat with bitterness and anger. I couldn't understand where all this came from, but through his brief explosion, I could hear a touch of loneliness.

Although I wanted to ask her what's wrong, I couldn't help but retaliate. "Sophie, this is not the time! Calcifer needs his help. Don't you realise he's not well?" She mocked and turned her eyes to the ceiling. "Of course I'm worried about Howl. There's a war going on, he's alone outside and he can get hurt and I wouldn't know why because I'm stuck here!" I complained to her. How could she not see beyond all this? How come she didn't understand my point of view?

Frustrated and desperate, I raised my eyes from the floor to see her eyes closed and her head still tilted to the ceiling, only now I have observed her trembling lips and crystal droplets coming out of the corner of her eyes.

"Sophie..."Sophie I reached out my hand, then pulled it back, squeezing it as it fell next to me. "Don't think for a second that I also don't see the way you look at him..."

She inhaled sharply and I continued. "Have you ever thought of me, Sophie?"

"What?" She tried to crack the poison.

"What about my happy ending?" My (E/C) eyes were filled with tears. "We have been- no - we are best friends. We used to tell each other everything, and make silly jokes about the stupidest things," my voice trembled. "Then here comes a boy and spoils everything between us," I said, grabbing the ends of my coat, hurt and the need to tell her everything shattering. A wave of growing anger made me grab my coat even stronger.

"Of course, but not if it's with the man I love! Why?! Why does it have to be him?!" She screamed, holding her head, her vocal cords tense with stress.

I can't stay here. I can't waste precious time arguing with her.

"It doesn't matter, Sophie. You can't change how he feels! You don't own it, or dictate it, or control it like a puppet." I tried to reason, but to no avail. Her crazy eyes found mine and I could see the despair and lack of sleep in them, making my heart hurt.