Chapter 15

“There is going to be a ball tonight, it's held in the ballroom. Here are some dress options for you Juliana, if you would like to attend." Demetri told me while placing a pile of different ball gowns on my bed. “Aro assumes that you obviously would attend but in the end it’s your decision.”

"If I were to attend, would I need to attend as Caius’ mate?" 

"No. You don't have to attend as Caius' mate. But if you want to then you would be with Sulpicia on the right side of the thrones. If not then you would just kind of be one of the guests. It's up to you." 

I thought for a while. I would get to see the ball room, dance and probably talk to Sulpicia so those things are a plus. But then I would need to see Caius and bear with his insults that he is going to probably throw at me.

“I’ll attend. But not as his mate.” 

“Then we need to choose a dress for you.” Demetri smiled excitedly.

***

After an hour Demetri and I ended up picking a red and black ball gown. The top part of it was black with black details and the rest of it red with this thin layer of black see through fabric placed on top of the red fabric. And on the back was a corset. It was beautiful and I couldn't wait to wear it.

 It was beautiful and I couldn't wait to wear it

"So what time is the ball starting?" I asked.

"At seven in the evening. That's when all the guests come." 

I nodded. "What does the Volturi ball contain?"

“If I’m being honest. It’s nothing too special. Just music, dancing and talking in formal outfits.”

I nodded. “Do you think that Aro is going to be angry at me?”

“I don’t think so. He told me to ask you if you wanted to attend or not. So he basically gave you a choice. But I heard that you were with Sulpicia last week.”

“Yes I was. We spoke. She’s very nice.” 

Demetri smiled while putting the rest of the dresses in my closet. “Yes. She’s great. I remember that time when she was around more.”

“Why does she need to stay in that tower?”

He glanced at me and opened his mouth before closing it again. “Something terrible happened. Perhaps Sulpicia can tell you some day.” He gave me a sad smile and I just nodded. It was clearly a big thing and I didnt want to push him to tell me. Someone would tell me someday if I needed to know. 

(7 pm)

When I walked to the ball room I saw that they were introducing every guest on the door before they walked inside. 

“And now Juliana Whitlock.” The vampire called out my name to the kings and guests. 

Some whispers could be heard. I mean I understand it is quite weird why Caius’ mate is attending as a guest.