Ch2 Ryuuen's: Perilous Search

April 1st, 2016, when the peace of my room was shattered by a series of earth-shaking booms.

Instinctively, I grabbed Sakayanagi and Kamuro, ushering them under the safety of the kitchen table.

"Stay here and don't make a sound," I whispered urgently. They nodded, eyes wide with fear.

Cautiously, I peered out to the balcony, taking in the horrific scene unfolding before me. Hundreds of students were running and screaming, fleeing from infected individuals who were viciously biting and devouring their peers. It was a sight that would haunt the dreams of any normal person, but to me, it was a new and intriguing experience.

What drew my attention, however, were the two bridges leading from the school to the mainland - they had been completely destroyed. In the distance, I could see military helicopters descending, dropping armed units onto the grounds, ready to confront the outbreak.

Suddenly, a booming voice echoed through the speakers, "Attention all students, teachers, and staff. The school is under quarantine. All uninfected people must stay in their dorms and away from the infected. I repeat..."

The blaring announcement from the loudspeaker echoed through the campus, instantly grabbing the attention of both myself and the infected hordes. Quarantine, huh? How troublesome.

The other infected, upon hearing the call, immediately turned their sights towards the dormitory, their ravenous gazes fixed on the source. Unlucky for us, some even spotted me on the balcony. Without hesitation, they began charging through the dorms, driven by an insatiable hunger to find us.

"Sigh, this is going to be a problem, especially with Sakayanagi's condition," I muttered under my breath.

Springing into action, I rushed to the kitchen, swiftly gathering all the knives on the shelf and securing them to my belt. I even went the extra mile, taping up my forearms and ankles to protect myself from any potential bites.

As for Sakayanagi and Kamuro, I had a decision to make. If this were the usual me from Volume 3, I might have just used them as decoys. But with Shiro's plans involving them, especially Kamuro, I knew I had to protect them, at least for now.

Peeking under the table, I spotted the trembling Kamuro and the composed Sakayanagi. The calm before the storm, as they say. Well then, let's face this challenge head-on.

a grave expression crosses my features "We better get going, you two. That announcement from the loudspeaker has drawn the infected horde's attention up here to the dormitory. It's only a matter of time before-"

my words are cut short by a thunderous pounding at the door, 'damn it they've arrived already?' a hint of surprise colors my tone, I quickly approach the door and peer through the peephole, only to be met with a most unexpected sight.

"Ryuuen?" I utter his name with a mixture of bewilderment and caution

Without hesitation, I unlock the door and usher him inside, his bat dripping with crimson. I cast a wary glance around the hallway, relieved to see it relatively clear of the infected. Ah, it seems Lady Luck has smiled upon us, for the horde has not yet reached this far.

I secure the door tightly, turning to face the newcomers "Would you all care for a spot of tea, perhaps?" I inquire, ever the gracious host, despite the gravity of our situation