CH11 The Desperate Escape - Dwindling Hope

The group's footsteps echoed against the eerie silence of the abandoned city streets, their ragged breaths the only sound that pierced the oppressive atmosphere. Price, Soap, and Nikolai were running on fumes, their weapons nearly depleted and their bodies weary from the constant battles against the infected.

Ayanokoji, still carrying the unconscious Arisu and Kamuro, remained vigilant, his enhanced senses attuned to the slightest movement. The weight of their fragile lives weighed heavily on his shoulders, a burden he carried with unwavering determination.

As they rounded a corner, the group was confronted by a sight that sent a chill down their spines. The streets were teeming with infected, their snarls and guttural cries echoing through the desolate landscape.

Price's eyes widened, his heart pounding in his chest. "We're surrounded," he breathed, his voice laced with dread.

Soap and Nikolai raised their weapons, their fingers trembling on the triggers as they realized they had only a handful of rounds left. The infected drew closer, their ravenous hunger fueling their relentless advance.

Ayanokoji's eyes narrowed, his body tensing as he prepared to unleash his Blacklight powers. But he hesitated, knowing that revealing his true abilities could jeopardize the fragile trust he had built with the others.

The infected were closing in, their putrid stench filling the air. Price and his team braced themselves, their last stand looming before them.

Suddenly, a faint sound caught Ayanokoji's attention – the distant rumble of an engine. His gaze darted to the horizon, and a glimmer of hope flickered in his eyes.

"Get down!" he shouted, his voice cutting through the chaos.

The others obeyed without question, their bodies hitting the ground as Ayanokoji shielded them with his own. Moments later, a deafening explosion rocked the street, sending debris and infected flying in all directions.

As the dust settled, the group slowly rose to their feet, their eyes widening in disbelief. A military vehicle had plowed through the horde, its mounted machine gun blazing with a vengeance.

"Get in!" a voice called out from the vehicle, and the group wasted no time in scrambling aboard, their hearts pounding with a renewed sense of hope.

Ayanokoji ushered Arisu and Kamuro into the vehicle, his gaze sweeping the area for any lingering threats. As the vehicle roared to life and sped away, he allowed himself a moment of relief, knowing that his secret had been preserved – for now.

But the dread and uncertainty that had gripped the group remained, their fragile existence hanging by a thread. They had been given a temporary reprieve, but the true test of their survival was far from over.

The military vehicle roared to life, its engine rumbling as it sped away from the horde of infected. Ayanokoji ushered Arisu and Kamuro inside, his gaze sweeping the area for any lingering threats.

As the vehicle careened through the deserted streets, a familiar face emerged from the driver's seat.

"Horikita Manabu?" Ayanokoji exclaimed, his eyes widening in surprise.

Horikita nodded, his expression grim. "I saw your group in trouble and couldn't just leave you behind. Now, hold on tight – we've got company."

True to his word, a deafening roar echoed behind them, and Price's heart sank as he caught sight of the massive, hulking figure in the rearview mirror.

"A tank!" Price shouted, his fingers tightening on the weapon he had managed to salvage.

The military vehicle lurched and swerved, Horikita's skilled driving barely keeping them ahead of the relentless pursuit. Ayanokoji gripped the seats, his knuckles turning white as he shielded Arisu and Kamuro from the chaos.