TWELVE

CHAPTER 12
THE DREAM

18+ warning: mild smut

SLOANE HAD PETER PRINT out a report of the machine's scan

SLOANE HAD PETER PRINT out a report of the machine's scan. Finally, she knew for sure that something weird – she wasn't quite sure what yet – was going on with her step-brother. Frank had said he wanted proof, and the sheet she had in her hands was cold hard. Both he and Sabrina couldn't argue with evidence.

Unfortunately, she was not met with the reaction she wanted. Perhaps she should've expected it. This was her uptight mother after all – the woman who called her a problem child for coping with her father's death with alcohol, but said her step-son who was sneaking out at night to vandalize property a goddamn saint.

Sloane had shown them the report as soon as she got home, as well as the can that Peter let her take home. She made sure it was in a sealed plastic bag before handing it to her mother and step-father and pinpointed where in the report it listed Everett's fingertips. Thankfully, Everett wasn't home to hear Sloane's claims. He was on a date with a girl, apparently. But with the way Sabrina was screaming at her, Sloane wondered if Everett could secretly hear their conversation wherever he was, if he was whispering in her mother's ear.

Sabrina was erratic, throwing the papers back in Sloane's face and calling her psychotic. Frank rubbed her shoulders, trying to get her to calm down. Sloane sat on the couch while her mother paced in front of her. "I told you to not talk to me about your work, Sloane! This is ridiculous," she shrieked, jamming a finger in her daughter's direction. "And how dare you come in here and accuse my step-son – Frank's son – of this, of a crime! You would never say this to his face, would you now? He isn't involved with a murderer!"

"I didn't say that, Mom." Sloane groaned, hunching over and resting her elbows on her knees. "I said that he's involved with the vandalism, the ones that are happening literally right down the street. I've seen his empty room after you go to sleep. His fingerprints are right here." She tapped the report with the end of her black-painted nails. "Not to mention, he also lied to me about knowing the victims. They were his friends. I saw it on his Instagram."