NINETEEN

CHAPTER 19
DEAD BY MORNING

CHAPTER 19DEAD BY MORNING

SLOANE WAS DETERMINED to catch her step-brother in the act

After seeing him meet up with a group of hooded figures in the street, she had made it her mission to follow his every move. She was finally trusting her gut, allowing it to lead her in the right direction – hopefully. Sloane naturally woke up early, so she followed his walk to school. If she caught him at the right time, she followed his walk home, but sometimes he stayed later for tutoring. (He was the tutor. Imagine that?) She watched his movements at the skate park, and when they were both home, she stuck to him like glue. She always made sure to stay up to see when he'd run down the fire escape. It varied the past few nights. Sometimes it was at eleven PM; the latest was at three AM.

She hadn't yet followed him on one of his late-night outings. Perhaps, she was a little scared. And Sloane knew this would be a good time to call for Spider-Man's assistance, but her embarrassment weighed more than her fear. She could do this on her own. Maybe if she kept saying that to herself, it would make this all way less terrifying.

Tonight had to be the night. Sloane had mapped out her plan and attire, as if she wasn't simply following her step-brother like she had been for the last couple of days. Before going to bed, she popped into Everett's room and wished him goodnight. He was watching one of the Seinfeld episodes she'd shown him, and she couldn't help but smile. After retreating to her room, Sloane quickly pulled on a black hoodie, a matching pair of leggings, and her leather jacket. She then tugged on her sneakers and shut all the lights off in her room. Not only fifteen minutes later, a shadow dashed down her fire escape.

Sloane approached the window immediately, sliding open the door and looking over the railing of the fire escape. That was a long way down. She gulped nervously. Maybe she needed to go back for some liquid courage?

No, if she did that, she'd be too drunk to find him. But there was no way she had the ball to run down this old staircase like Everett did. Instead, Sloane quickly shut her window and took the elevator down.