TWENTY

CHAPTER 20
THOROUGHLY BUZZED

CHAPTER 20THOROUGHLY BUZZED

SLOANE WAS TRYING to write – emphasis on trying – when her phone began to ring that afternoon

SLOANE WAS TRYING to write – emphasis on trying – when her phone began to ring that afternoon. She had been staring at the snowflakes falling from the cloudy sky, and as her phone vibrated beside her leg, she couldn't help but jump. Memories of her chase with the dark figure from a few nights ago haunted her, blinding her vision for a short second. She was lucky that Spider-Man had gotten there just in time, or ... she didn't want to think about what would've happened. But she knew she needed to include it in her article, no matter how distressing it was to recall that night.

Sometimes, when the penthouse was so silent, she swore she could hear the figure's footsteps again.

At the very least, a disturbing situation granted her the prime opportunity of kissing a masked hero that frequented most of her wet dreams. She'd been thinking about that kiss for days after – how he tasted, how his five o'clock shadow scratched against her face – and the memory wasn't going away anytime soon. She thought about it all the time – when she was by herself, and she would smile, or when she touched herself late at night, dreaming of his fingers inside of her instead of her own.

Sloane blinked, reminding herself that it was so not the time to get turned on when ... She looked down. Peter was calling her? She accepted the call and brought the phone up to her ear. "What have you found?" She asked immediately, her voice a dull shrill as she waited for whatever terrible news he had on the case.

"Found? What – oh, I'm not calling you about your article, Sloane." Peter chuckled awkwardly, and it reminded her of the last time they saw each other at Thanksgiving. "Sorry to alarm you."

Sloane rubbed at her forehead. "No, no. It's not you. I just ... some shit happened a few nights ago and I've been kinda rattled ever since."

"Oh – um – yeah, Spider-Man – uh – told me about it." He cleared his throat. "That must've been really scary."

"Scary is an understatement." She set her phone between her ear and her shoulder, staring at the paragraph she'd just written in her Word document. "So, what are you calling about? If it's about that night, I don't really want to rehash any details –"