4️

Two days, it took us forty-eight hours to clock upon the glacial mass

Two days, it took us forty-eight hours to clock upon the glacial mass. Castle and the baby slowed us down, with occasional injuries and food breaks it delayed our plan by a day. But none of us complained, secretly relaxed that we got to rest without having to cast an excuse ourselves. Castle didn't mind, she did what she had to. I fully believed that she hadn't considered herself a part of our team yet.

Dorin took the lead, always. Mapping the safest route and silently making sure we fared once he leaves us to do so.

I felt quite useless in the situation. I -in fact was useless. So I carried Atticus, the little one snuggled against my bust, his skin still healthy, despite ours exercised to its limits by the dry wind.

He lifts his pecan eyes and stared at me confused. I smiled at him cheerfully, he was focused elsewhere when I took him from Castle. He conceivably didn't realize the change of touch. Until now.

My hair was tied in a braid under my thick hood, and with the cushion of clothes I donned, there wasn't a need to bandage my frame into a flat one. Not that I had one worthy of flaunting. But neither were they discreet.

"How many zypen did you dose him with? He looks pretty cozy" I throw the question around for castle, forgetting to turn back for an answer. She pinches at my sleeve and replied when I sheepishly muttered an apology.

"None"

I laughed at the joke.

"We won't scold you if you took more for him. It's his stomach I am worried about"

She grounds me with her gaze, she doesn't make skits.

Dorin was far ahead to listen or too preoccupied to eavesdrop on us. Removing one of my gloves I feel for the child's tongue. They were normal. Unlike us whose temperature fevered with every breath we take. A side effect of the remedy.

He wasn't dosed.

"But how is he survi-

"The cold is forbidden from wounding a pure soul, such as a child" I stare at her in shock and awe. Annoyed with how she seemed to know of it.

"How do you know all of this? Are you a spy?"

"A spy that shared the same soil as you both? I thought you were supposed to be the smart one" I laugh, pulling out a notebook simultaneously switching Atticus to the side.

"I am, perhaps it's what I am implying. I want to trust you- but your silence Is giving me enough reasons not to" I tug at my hood to not reveal her how expectant I was.

"My Father used to work for an Armin"

With steel in my steps I stop, turning away from her- I take few sips of oxygen to hold it in. She runs to the front and hastily looks at me. We stood in the mountain steep, so she towered over me. For the moment.