9️

Servers dashed from one table to another with drinks and food atop a round ceramic tray

Servers dashed from one table to another with drinks and food atop a round ceramic tray. The diners and players were noisy, to say the least. Men and women in their youth and age laughed, drank, and betted their fortunes on games being played. Charades, cards and chess majorly occupied their interest. A loud cheer erupts from the right as a man seems to have won with an acclaimed margin. He indeed did- Dorin seem to fit fine with these people, I wasn't even offered a drink because of the age issued by my feminine face attached to a body clad in clothing made for men of sizes ample than mine.

I was surprised no one had tossed me a candy yet with the probability of how little they make me feel.

"This is ridiculous" slurs Slate, by how many visitors greeted him so far it wasn't hard to put a name to the golden face of Mr. Willows son. This reminds me that someday I need to surround myself with women to make up for my lost etiquette. I drum my fingers restless as I watched a game of chess one row in front of us. There were so many mistakes the one I am rooting for had been committing, that it was now physically painful for me to just sit-stay and watch. "I have been practising years for tomorrow, then what's making me so anxious" he slaps his palm hard against the top, he was too flushed to even keep his lips open.

"It's natural" Dorin assures, he seems to have taken up the role of a pacifier no matter who he came across. He would be a good father someday. "We all get nervous before our big day"

Slate squeaks a hiccup and arch's a brow at Dorin.

"You ever attempted an Warriors trail? I mean- you certainly look the part"

"I did- not"

He breathes a chuckle.

"Then you don't know what it's like to please those snobs and kiss their ass to even get inside their good books, let alone a reputable rank"

Their conversation was ruining my focus- so I brought my attention to Slate and his whining nose.

"So- do you have any strategy to help your nerves before tomorrow?"

He nods sides ways, then his gaze lights up. There are stars in them.

"Why don't you suggest me Tammy"

"It's Timo. Timo Kasper"

"Both are bad names, doesn't change a dime to me"

I provide him with a sickly smile, I slide him the rest of the drinks loitered on the table.

"Why don't you cautiously try and manage to get drunk, pass out for the night perhaps?" I suggest.

His brows pull as if he was angry, but then he leans over and gently uses his fist to pat an adoration.

"You are quite useful to have around, spoken like a sage"

Dorin grins, as my leg rattles at another one of the wrong moves he did with the queen. Serving her to the territory. Two more rooks and his game was done for.