Chapter Fourteen

Lucifer wanted to sigh yet merely sat there, his gaze meeting his lord's. It was easy for him to see his lord was tense and upset, as was to be expected. He himself was in the same boat, added in the fact was that broken fraction of memory and the emotions it stirred in him.

"Explain." It was an order and it made Lucifer slump his shoulders as he felt his headache bloom to life once more.

"I am confused...I had a memory...a fraction of one surge to life when she called me 'Luci', it was of my sister Lilith and what looked to be Kagome...back before the war...it was fuzzy but the feelings...they felt so real." He paused, opening his eyes to meet his lord's gaze.

"I don't know how but it would seem we share a past and even I am at a loss as to how deep it ran...none of my other brothers have ever mentioned Kagome so I would assume whomever locked away my memories of her has done so with my brothers as well and given the deception illustrated by my...father when it comes to the contract....one can only assume he has a hand in this as well." He gratefully accepted the glass of demonous that was offered to him by his lord.

His gaze watching the amber liquid as he made it swirl in the crystal low ball. How had things gotten so out of control so quickly? They had a plan, a speech, all lined up and ready to go...yet she had shown up and thrown a wrench in it all. He let out a small chuckle, wasn't that just like her though? Whenever she was involved things tended to go helter skelter... he jerked at the forigen thought, he knew it was his own thought but how had he formed it without having a deep intimate knowledge of her?

"So there's nothing we can do but see if prolonged exposure to her will weaken the curse blocking your memories..." Taking a swig of his own demonus Daivolo welcomed the burn. "We'll have to place her under your care, she'll be moved to the House of Lamentation as we originally planned. I expect you to keep an eye on her, not only as an exchange student but as my fiance." The threat was there, stay close to her but not too close.

It was to be expected, while he didn't know much about his bride to be, the fact was that she was his bride to be. Demons were possessive by nature, it was literally in black and white that she would be his therefore his instincts were already rearing their head. That wasn't to say he would force her to fulfill the contract, he wasn't some barbaric baser level demon, just that he would be earnest in his pursuit of her should she choose to be open to it.

It was a fine line he would have to learn to balance, his top priority was strengthening the bonds of the three realms and she was a means to that end. Yet at the same time she was a living breathing, feeling person...he would have to be careful how he approached this. He took another deep pull from the amber liquid in his glass. It seemed this year was going to be far more exciting and unpredictable then he could have ever planned.

Cracking his eyes open he gazed at his closest friend, he was lost in his own thoughts, his gaze on the amber liquid in his glass, still untouched. Of everything that could happen this year he hoped their friendship would survive it, just the thought of a rift forming between them made his blood run cold. At the same time he knew that should he be forced to choose between his grand vision and those around him he would always choose his vision...

"We should call it a night, get some rest my friend. I have a feeling we have an even longer day ahead of us tomorrow." He gave a small tired smile that Lucifer returned before gulping down the liquid as he stood to make his way out the door.

"Indeed, life with Kagome is going to be...interesting..." With those words he closed the door behind him and left the young demon prince to his thoughts and planning, his own thoughts running away from him, the urge to seek out Mammon and take out his frustration on him rearing its head...sure his younger brother had nothing to do with the foul mood he was in at the moment but he was sure he did something to deserve a beating or two... He let out a low chuckle as he made his way towards the house of lamentation, Mammon's room his destination.