Chapter Eighteen

Food eaten, they sat in silence, letting it settle in their stomach before they rekindled their conversation from last night. Kagome smiled in thanks as Barbatos took away her used plate, replacing it with a fresh cup of tea.

The air was charged, left over emotions and thoughts from the night prior hanging over their heads. Kagome cleared her throat, deciding to get it over with. Feeling three sets of eyes on her she flushed a bit, licking her lips to give her a second to recompose herself. "So uh, will I be staying here while a part of the RAD program or do you have domorities? I recall you saying you had another human and two angels in the program as well...will I be staying with them?"

Divaolo smiled at how easily she took control of the situation, it would seem she wasn't one to shy away from things that needed to be done or said even if it meant putting herself in situations she didn't want to be in. It was a sign of a good leader.

Giving her a warm smile he clasped his hands, resting them on the table. "Honestly we weren't expecting to add another human to our program for quite a few years...that being said there aren't enough rooms in Purgatory hall." He smiled as she arched a brow at the name choice of the dorms yet continued. "It would appear..suspicious if you stayed here, without us revealing the pending engagement. So we've decided you will stay with Lucifer and his brothers in the House of Lamentation."

She gasped bringing her hands to her mouth, her gaze snapping to Lucifer. "They're alive? All of them?" Her voice was thick with emotion, her eyes watering as hope flared to life in the deep blue orbs.

Lucifer was hard pressed to not reach over and run his thumb over her trembling hands, it was foregin feeling and he shoved it down not wanting to upset his lord nor give into an instinct that he had no remembrance of its origins. Instead he nodded his head, his voice even as he responded. "Yes, Mammon, Leviathan, Asmodeus, Beelzebub, and Belphegor." He purposely left out Satan as he had yet been 'born' yet through his hate of his father and what had happened during the war. So there was no way she should have any prior knowledge of the avatar of wrath, if what she said was the truth.

It was another test, to see if her words and intentions were as she portrayed them to be.

Kagome felt tears of joy slip down her cheeks and was quick to wipe them away with a small smile on her lips. They were alive...joy blossomed in her chest at that thought. Followed by the sting of betrayal of those who had told her otherwise.

"I-I was told you all died and that Lili was the only one allowed to be reborn...that's why I was so eager to sign whatever I had to in order to get out of there and be with her. Even if she didn't remember me and I couldn't tell her anything it was the fact that I knew, that I remembered and was being given a second chance to make up for my mistakes...if only I neve told her and the twins about my travels in the human realm then maybe they wouldn't have snuck down there...maybe Lili would still be alive..." The volume of her voice had faded to a faint whisper, the guilt churning with each word.

It was clear she blamed herself for what had happened.

Diavolo gently placed a hand on hers, making her jerk her gaze to meet his, a small sniffle escaping her as she tried to reign in her emotions not wanting to cry again. "It wasn't your fault Kagome...there were many things that led up to the war... I am sorry they lied to you. That is unforgivable, and honestly it disgusts me." He was a man who lived his life not holding back what he felt and thought and he wouldn't start now. He thought it was down right vile of such pious creatures to lie and use such a kind soul.

While he had just met her he could tell, could see the purity of her soul and it was down right hypocritical of those damn angels who looked down at his own kind, to use such underhanded tactics...he would be sure to bring it up at the next meeting between their realms.

Kagome gave a small laugh, liking the way he didn't hold back. "Yeah, it was a pretty dick move on their part huh?" She paused to flash Lucifer a smile. "I"m just glad you all survived...I assume like you they don't remember me?"

Lucifer shifted, his gaze tearing from the joined hands of his lord and Kagome to gaze at her face and shake his head. "I would assume they suffer from the same curse...before last night I had only heard your name when we were told of the engagement..."

Kagome sighed, her shoulders sagging. "Of course...well nothing we can do about that. I'm just grateful to be able to see them again."

Diavolo gave her hand one last comforting squeeze before sitting back, his hand longed to return to her warm one yet he pushed it down and instead reclasped them on the table. "We think that if given the chance to be around you, you might be able to spark memories like you did with Lucifer last night. Keep in mind it's just a theory but I'm sure if you befriended them once you can do so again."

Kagome gave him a thankful grin for his kind words. He was right, even if they didn't remember her she wouldn't let that stop her from reaching out her hand in friendship once more.