Chapter Twenty-One

Kagome trailed behind Lucifer, her gaze taking in the many sights that their walk had to offer. All around them demons seemed to stare at her, she let them fall off her like a duck's feathers did to water. Let them stare, she was used to it. The whispers, the pointing. It was nothing new.

What really worried her was how the others would react to her. Would they remember her? From the sound of things no, they wouldn't but she couldn't help the small glimmer of hope that lived in her chest.

Lucifer was hard pressed to not reach out and grasp her fidgeting fingers, the thin digits curling and uncurling as she clasped her hands behind her as they walked. It was a nervous habit she had for as long as he could remember, and honestly he didn't even know how long that was.

Instead he pushed the urge down and glared at those around him, they quickly averted their gazes yet the whispering was nonstop. Sighing through his nose he shifted a bit closer to her, as if willing his larger frame to shield hers from the many glaring curious gazes, it was an odd feeling. Wanting to protect someone so fiercely when he had so little knowledge as to why he had the urge.

"So, is it always night here? I noticed when I woke up it was still dark, it's been hours and it's still dark." Her voice was light as she decided to break the silence, she was after all a social creature.

Something that would never change it seemed.

Lucifer gave a light hum, his eyes flickering to her as she glanced up at him from the corner of her eye before letting them bounce around at each new sight. She looked so excited, like a kid in a candy store, he was hard pressed to not smile. "Yes, no matter the time of the 'day' so to speak it is always night. Hence why our lessons begin so late, most demons sleep until later in the day and are up and more active at 'night'. It's something you'll have to adjust to."

Kagome nodded, "I should be fine, I'm pretty good at going with the flow." She flushed as Lucifer gave a low amused chuckle.

"I can only imagine not most would take being summoned to the Devildom out of the blue in stride as easily as you." Kagome gave a light laugh, "Yeah...honestly not the worst or most random thing to happen to me so far."

Lucifer could only nod, slowing his walk as they approached the large looming building that housed himself and his brothers, he kept his gaze on her, wanting to gauge her reaction to the place that would be her home for the foreseeable future, knowing it would be amusing.

He was not disappointed.

Kagome's eyes widened as they approached a large house, more like a mansion, it sat alone behind a large brick fence and an iron gate. It looked imposing and seemed to give off its own aura, as if it was its own living breathing being and honestly she wouldn't be that surprised if it was.

"Oh wow, you live here?" The awe in her voice made him preen, for he truly was the personification of pride after all, as he willed the gates to open for them, pausing to let her walk ahead of him.

"Welcome to the house of Lamentation, your home for the next year."