Chapter Thirty-One

Power.

Pure unadulterated power washed over the house of Lamentation surpassed only by the aura of blood lust and rage that seeped from every pore of the prince of Devildom was the first and only thing that Lucifer felt before he was on his feet.

In an instant he was flinging open the door to Kagome's room, his eyes widening as he caught sight of said lord holding his brother by his neck, his feet kicking and his tail flailing as he tried to claw at the iron grip crushing his larynx.

The scent of tears, blood, and fear was thick in the room.

"How dare you touch what is mine." Diavolo's voice was a grutall thing, sounding more beastial than human. His eyes glowed with rage as he took in the way Satan paled, his skin turning a sickly blue due to lack of air entering his lungs, fear filling his eyes and escaping as tears.

He would have snapped the younger males neck if not for the fact that seeing the pain and fear dance in his dulling green eyes made his blood churn in his ears.

He was enjoying it.

Kagome was stuck on stupid, one second Satan was over his, his warm body pressing hers into the bed, begging, pleading with her to tell him the truth. She was about to give in, to tell him everything and the next thing she knew his warmth was gone, replaced by a sickly coldness that seemed to seep into her bones.

It was only the sound of her door being thrown open, the wood cracking and breaking under the pressure that she snapped out of her stupor. Oh, oh no!! She scrambled off the bed throwing herself forward, nearly tripping on the blankets as she moved to grab at Diavolo's arm, tugging on it yet it didn't move.

"Diavolo stop it please!! You're killing him!!" Her voice was a hysterical shriek, echoing in the room.

She froze as his cold golden eyes shifted a bit to let her know he was listening to her yet his grip didn't lessen even as Satan's struggles began to become sluggish. "He attacked you..." He growled deeply in his chest.

"N-no it's not what it looks like, please just let him go and let's talk about it!!" She was begging, her hands tugging on his fingers that hadn't budged an inch. They were like steel bands, unmoving and unfaltering.

Lucifer felt anger and fear flair to life, the fear far out ranking his anger. His demon form burst forth, the primal instinct and need to save his brother over ranking everything. "Diavolo let my brother go now!!!" Normally he was hard pressed to address Diavolo without his title, let alone demand anything of his lord but this was his brother...his flesh and blood and he would be damned if he lost another one of his brood.

Diavolo paused at that, Lucifer had never stood up to him not like this...plus Kagome was border line hyperventilating as she begged and pleaded, while he wanted nothing more then to squeeze harder, to inch out every last breath inside of the man who would dare to touch what was his he could only grit his teeth until his very jaw throbbed.

He needed to stop, if he didn't.... He sighed through his nose, his eyes sliding closed as he willed his hand to release its grip.

Satan dropped to the ground at his feet like a sack of potatoes, coughing and hacking up a lung as he curled into a ball, from fading back to his human one as his body focused on trying to repair the damage done to his throat so he could once again breathe.

Kagome wanted to fall to her knees next to him, to run her hands over his deeply bruised neck and let her healing magic flow into the abused flesh but she knew better. Instead she stepped around the shivering ball of fear, burying her face in Diavolo's chest, the top of her head resting under his chin as he encased her in his arms. "Thank you, thank you." She repeated her words, pressing closer to him with each utterance of them.

Diavolo ignored the words that fell from her lips and merely swept her into his arms, his wings wrapping around her to further hide her away from the shivering mass that was Satan at his feet, Lucifer bristling as he kneeled next to his brother, his own wings spreading out as if to try and ward him off.

It was a laughable attempt of a show of intimidation yet he merely stepped back a few paces, bringing his bride to be with him.

Glaring down at the brothers he was hard pressed to not lash out at them, instead he inhaled his bride to be's scent. Allowing it to curl around him and calm him, her small body tucking itself closer to his as if to comfort and calm him. It made him preen, yet he still held fast to his anger and rage.

It was coiled under the surface, like a cobra waiting to strike.

"I don't make it a habit to repeat myself, but, what the fuck is going on here."