Chapter 28

Strange.

I looked at myself, barefoot, in this wide field full of nothing.

I feel like I'm inside a dream but it doesn't feel like it is a dream. It feels very real.

"Mother told me that I have to be the best at everything so no one would mock me for my hair."

A crying child. A familiar face. But not in my memories.

He must have a common face then.

"There's a commoner at the academy, he's great at everything and Mother is pressuring me to do better. I'm already doing my best though..."

"I heard rumors that I was like a villain in his relationship. Why am I suddenly a villain?"

A field full of grass and flowers. Two people with beautiful and genuine smiles. Hair fluttering because of the wind.

"Hahahahaha! What do you expect from people who only know how to gossip? Well, if you're not a villain, then how about trying to become one? Let's read novels to find out how villains act!"

What was that idiotic statement did that girl said just now that strangely sounded like me?

"Isn't it a little funny? Your appearance and actions in public looks like you're an antagonist when you're actually just a pure and kind person inside."

Balls of light. It looks familiar...

***

My heart is at peace again today.

I feel so excited whenever I think that I'll be going home soon. It's great that Elijah is helping me now so getting out of this wretched mansion would be easier.

Elijah, Amen. After I get out of here, I'll visit the temple a lot and thank God for introducing us to each other.

It's a pity to leave Evan's bed since it's the fluffiest bed that I ever used but nothing really beats how comfy my bed is at my home.

"I recommend this one." I nodded to Evan who gave me a book. So he likes mystery.

I flipped on a few pages. The first few pages of a book always never fail to bore me whatever the genre is.

"Hey..." He rubbed his nape as he looked at me with a shy expression.

"Are we... really fine now?"

Well, technically, we're not really fine. He kind of apologized to me and I told him off a lot. I was just a teeny-tiny bit kinder and more forgiving because a good thing will happen soon, and that is me, going home.

You know how you just let everything pass since you don't mind it anymore?

"Yes. Just always, think of what you've done wrong. Kidnapping and locking up a person, especially an innocent one, will never be a good thing."

He nodded at me like a child who learned something new.

"You told me to do that before though..."

Did he just say something?

I realized it before but why is he acting like a kid in front of me?

And I get this weird feeling that he knows the difference between good and bad so why is he acting like this?

Or is it just my guilt since he went and told me to stay but I'll still be leaving him soon?

I'll just give him some advice. Since I'm his 'friend', who'll soon get away from him and I want to relieve this annoying guilt.

"Evan. Always think about everything properly, think whether what you'll do is good or bad. Or if it's right or wrong."

He looked at me with an innocent expression. As if he didn't understand anything or that what I said just passed through his ears. Or to be exact it's like he was shocked by my words?

Why do I feel like I'm raising a person? Should I try to reform him for a little? Like rehabilitating him?

Besides what should I do if we have different opinions between good or bad... he's a villain...

"Just think if it will hurt a person or not. Mentally, physically or emotionally."

He nodded at me. He looks like a cute little brother that I've never had. I patted his head and he bit his lip.

Is he... trying to stop himself from smiling?

"You haven't changed."

"Hm?"

The curve on his lips raised and I froze.

My heart pounded. A feeling that I don't like. A pulling feeling.

It feels as if something inside me is drawing a line. It feels like I have to draw a line. It feels like I should not.

I evade his gaze.

Not good. I shouldn't get close to him. I don't want to do anything that will hinder myself from going home.

It's not like I'm being locked up or treated badly like in our first meetings. Even when I was in prison, I wasn't even tortured or anything. Even though I was shackled everytime, I never suffered any injury.

It's plainly just because I don't like this place and I don't have good memories here. Like an icky feeling. Like I want to throw up.

Well, I guess bonding with my fellow prisoners was fun and all. Spending time with Evan and Hans was also good. Daryl and Elijah's occasional visits weren't bad either.

Nothing just beats the feeling of being comfortable and being safe.

That's why I should stop myself when I feel like I'm being emotionally closer to him. I won't let it happen. Since I might back out on going home if I get closer. And it feels dangerous to get close to him.

"Ah. It's already late. I'll be going now, Ces. Good night." He smiled at me gently.

I waved at him and I had a feeling of relief when he left.

Should I change my sleeping schedule? If I revert it to how it was before, I won't have any chance to face him since I'll be asleep most of the time. Ever since Elijah told me that I'll be leaving soon, my sleeping schedule has changed a lot because of excitement.

"Let's set that aside for now."

I stood up and went to the window.

I feel uncomfortable.