13

We didn't leave his parents house until after 9. Benton begged for his daddy to read him a bedtime story, and demanded that I come in and listen.  As soon as Declan was comfortable and ready to begin reading, Benton changed his mind.

"Actually, Miss Macie does better at this story. Can she read it instead?" Benton asked. Without even waiting for an answer he crawled across the bed and snatched the book out of his fathers hands. Benton patted the spot in bed next to him for me to sit. Before crawling in next to him I looked to Declan, silently asking for his permission.

Seven stories later, Benton finally nodded off, cuddled up to me with his head in my lap. As I shut the book and placed it on the nightstand I looked over to Declan. With as quiet as he had been I expected him to be asleep too. Instead, I was met with a smile.

"You know he's going to ask for you to read to him every night now, right? You've just created a monster." Declan chuckled at me. At some point he had taken his hat off, and the warm glow of the night light made his eyes pop against his skin.

"It's a good thing he's a cute monster." I couldn't help but smile down at Benton as I brushed his hair out of his face.

"I can't disagree there." Declan chuckled. "But let's get out of here so you can get some sleep too. Sounds like you've got a busy day tomorrow."

I carefully moved Benton's head from my lap to his pillow before Declan reached a hand out to help pull me up.

"Yeah, I have to go in early to see where they're at from having a sub, then figure out how to set up for the party while they're at lunch and recess, then take them trunk or treating in the parking lot before pickup. It's going to be a busy day." I thought out loud as I realized I really had a lot to do.

"What about birthday plans?" He asked as we walked through his parents house that was now dark and quiet, somehow it still felt welcoming.

"Dec, where'd your parents go?" I whispered. I didn't want to tell him that my plan for my birthday was to wallow in misery because the only person who ever actually celebrated my birthday with me had been dead for years? There were four days a year I missed Thatcher more than ever, Christmas, his birthday, my birthday, and the anniversary of his death. It's hard to feel happy those days when all I can think of is missing my best friend.

"They are in bed every night at like 9 on the dot. They've always been like that when Pops wasn't doing club stuff. It made sneaking out as a teen so easy." He chuckled as he lead me outside, making sure to lock his parents door behind him.

I walked out towards his bike, but stopped to admire the stars. There was no light pollution here, so the sky was lit with stars. That was something I was always jealous of. I went from living with my parents, whose yard was never dark, to living in a development full of street lights "for security." The only time I ever saw stars like this was when Thatcher would sneak me out of the house and we would take his motorcycle out on a ride in the middle of no where.

"What's on your mind, sweetheart? Why did you change the subject when I asked about your birthday?" Declan asks, coming up behind me and resting his hands on my hips.

"I just don't really celebrate it that's all. Trina wanted to go out to some club, we figured we would be dressed in costumes so if we happened to run into any parents they hopefully wouldn't recognize us. But her husband said absolutely not. He's a little controlling but she seems to love him, so what can you do." I rattled on leaning my head back against him. "I guess my plans were to watch Friends and hand out candy. But now I don't really have a plan."

"Well, as exciting as that sounds, I have an alternative for you. The club has a huge Halloween party every year. It doesn't start until 10, so that gives you time to catch up with your friends while I take Benny out trick or treating."