6

"Honestly, sweetheart, I think you might be in danger."

Danger? Why would I be in danger? I wasn't anyone important. I was just a kindergarten teacher. Heck, even though my parents were wealthy they weren't all that important either.

"Daddy? Is Miss Macie going to be ok?" Benton spoke up from the back seat.

"Of course she will buddy. Daddy won't ever let anything happen to her." Declan smiled at Benton in the mirror and then squeezed my hand reassuringly. "You've got the Knights protecting you now, sweetheart."

We sat there in silence as I stared at my house. I felt so violated. Someone had broken into my house. No, it was worse than that. Someone broke into my house thinking I was home. My hand clung tightly to Declan's, almost as if I were a balloon waiting to blow away in the wind. In the distance I heard a police siren, it sounded like it was coming closer to us. It was probably Declan's friend.

A black SUV pulled up behind the squad car and the man who got out looked just like Declan, only older. It had to be his dad. He walked right up to the truck and opened Benton's door.

"Hey, buddy. It sounds like Daddy has some club stuff going on. Let's go see Grandma so you can make me some cookies" his voice was gravely and had a hint of a southern accent.

"It's not club stuff, Grandpa. Someone was naughty in Miss Macie's house while she had a sleepover at our house." Benton explained with urgency. "We have to stay here to make sure she is safe!"

I peeked at Declan and saw him blush a little at his son's statement.

"Miss Macie? A sleepover? Hmmm sounds like Daddy has been having a grand old time." The grandfather chuckled, hinting at something that didn't happen.

"We had a great time! We made pizza and watched the hotel vampire movie! And then Miss Macie slept on the couch." Benton explained.

It took everything I had to not turn around to see Mr. Thomas' face.

"Saint. Can we talk outside of the car a minute?" He sounded incredibly serious.

"Fine. But it's not what you think." Declan huffed as he got out of the truck, slamming the door behind him line an angsty teenager.

"You best hope not, boy. This is the type of bullshit I expected from your dumb ass brother before he settled down with his old lady. God, just wait until your mother hears thi-" Declan's father chastised him before he shut the door, blocking out the rest of the conversation.

"Grandma says that Grandpa's got a worse temper than Donald Duck." Benton said calmly as he unbuckled himself and climbed into the front seat with me.

"I'm sure he means well, buddy. He's just looking out for you and your daddy because he loves you guys." I reasoned as he sat himself in my lap and leaned on my shoulder.

"Well then he better start looking out for you too because we love you. And if he isn't careful he's gonna catch these fists." Benton said bitterly, reminding me of his father. He was basically Declan's little clone.

"That's not a very nice thing to say, Benton. Your daddy doesn't talk like that does he?" I asked.

"No. Uncle Sin taught me to say that." He said proudly.

"Well, this Uncle Sin sounds like a bad influence." I couldn't help but note as my door opened.

"You have no idea. Sorry about all of that. My behavior was uncalled for." Declan's father apologized as Benton launched himself into his grandfather's arms. It wasn't until Benton was situated in his arms that I realized his lip was bleeding.