05.

Mason and Eloise talked all the way home

Their car ride felt longer than any car ride around the island was. The island was small so it never took more than thirty minutes to an hour going somewhere. It felt like they had been riding around for far longer than an hour until Eloise finally made it home. Even then, the two stayed in the car talking. Masons shared how he was raised on his family farm as an only child and how it had been eight years since he'd joined the military at just seventeen years old. Mason also told Eloise about his mother writing to him almost daily, asking him when the next time she and his father would be able to see him. He promised he'd try to see her for her birthday soon. When truthfully, he didn't really know when he'd ever be able to see his family again.

Eloise also shared her life with Mason...minus the fact she was engaged.

The truth was, Eloise was beginning to really like Mason.

•••••••••••••••••••••

"Sssshh, be quiet she's coming!"

A woman hushes as Eloise walks thru the doors of the infirmary.

Looking around she notices a group of nurses disburse from their recent huddle together.

"Good morning."

Eloise says suspiciously.

"Good morning."

The women chirp back, all very attentive to their charts or other wise fiddling with nonsense objects in front of them.

Eloise pays no mind, walks over to her desk and begins to look through the papers in front of her.

Today, she had three patients to take care of. Patient number one was severely burned from a plane crash. Patient number two was a civilian who had been caught in a cross fire and was suffering from a gun shot to their thigh and shoulder. And patient number three was recovering from amputation after having their leg suck underneath a car for twelve hours before she was found.

Eloise begins sorting through the medication for her patients, making sure she administers the correct medication to each patient.

"Soooo..."

Eloise roommate, Deloris says looking down at her clip board.

Deloris was one of the very few nurses/roommates Eloise cared for. She wasn't rambunctious or promiscuous and usually kept to herself, much like Eloise. The nurses in their cabin pretty much all had one thing in common: they loved fly boys and navy men. They loved going out dancing with boys, dressing risqué and sneaking off to god knows where with these men.

"The birds have been chirping about you and a certain pilot you drove off with last night."

Deloris says, still looking down at her chart. Eloise appreciated Deloris' discreetness.

"And?"

Eloise asks looking down at her chart as well.

"A certain pilot named Captain McCawley..."

Eloise looks up from her chart and notices some nurses have casually walked closer towards her and Deloris, surly in hope of hearing the currently brewing gossip. She looks aimlessly back down at her chart.

"I did."

"Well, they're also saying he's seeing Amanda Crenshaw."

Eloise heart begins to beat faster hearing this news. She didn't want to believe it, especially not after the night she shared with Mason.

"That's great!"

Eloise lies.

"You do know who Amanda Crenshaw is, right?"

Deloris asks assertively, looking up from her chart. Eloise looks into her eyes and could tell Deloris was trying to convey something to her.

"No actually. Should I?"

"If you would like to keep your job yes. She is the charge nurse of our unit."

"Oh..."

Eloise answers simply. Surely Mason would have told Eloise this if it were true. Or maybe he wanted to hide the fact he was seeing Amanda like how Eloise was hiding the fact she was engaged to Jack.

Regardless if it were true or not, Eloise couldn't shake the fact she felt a sense of jealousy.

•••••••••••••••••••