Chapter 3

Y/N arrived at Themis law firm to meet Artem who was already outside.

"Sorry, you might have been waiting for awhile."
"Not at all. Shall we go?"
"Sure."

They both left but Artem stopped at the mall and entered with Y/N follwoing her, confused.

"Um... Artem? Why are we at a mall?"

He didn't answer.

Great just the answer I needed... thanks.

They continued walking and ended up in a toy shop.

Why- oh wait the orphange.

The shop assistant came up to them, smiling a bit too much.

"How old is your child?"
"Nine.", Artem replied.
"Oh, I would have thought that your child would have been younger seeing how young you two are."

Oh so the child is nine- wait did they just say OUR child?

"I don't think-"
"I'll be back in a moment.", said the shop assistant, who quickly dissappeared.

Uh oh

Y/N stood there awkwardly next to Artem, who had his usual stotic, emotionless face on. After what seemed like years to Y/N they left laden with bags.

"Wait here I'll get the car."
"Okay."

She stood there feeling a little embrassed for reasons she coulnd't understand.

"Y/N?"
"Hm?"
"I''m sorry if I offened you back then. It's just was better than having to explain the situation."
"No, it's okay. Just felt a little... wierd."
"Why is that?"
"Well, I've never been in a romantic relationship so..."
"I see."

They stayed silent as Artem drove them to the orphange. Once they had reached there Artem had gone to talk to the director while Y/N walked around, noticing how the children looked quite happy and were well looked after. When she saw a woman who was dressed in cheap, tattered clothing with had patches sown on. Her hands were rough and cracked like someone who would be rather aged. Suddenly a nine-year-old girl ran to the woman."

"Aunty Sherry you came!"
"I saw you playing, so, I didn't want to interupt. How have you been?"
"I'm fine but you said you would take me home. You pinky-promised!"
"Lily, I can't..."
"You are a liar!"

Lily ran off leaving Sherry upset, while Y/N watched from a distance.

Wait I should follow Lily what if she walks into the meeting with Artem and the director?

Y/n quickly followed Lily who had ran into the director's office. She knocked on the door and heard Artem's voice.

"Come in."

Y/N walked in to see Artem kneeling infront of Lily, with a smile on his face.

What is there that this man can't do?

"Don't cry Lily, you're a strong girl aren't you?"

Artem waved a stuffed bear at her, while Y/N looked at Artem.

He's pretty

"Go and play now okay?"
"Okay."
"Sorry to trouble you Mr. Wing.", the director said.
"It's no trouble, I should thank you. Y/N-"

Y/N was looking at Artem blushing a little, even if he had regained his usual composure.

"Um..."
Artem turned to the director, "I will make a good living enviroment for her. Let's go Y/N."
"O-okay."

"Wait that woman left."
"Who?"

Wait I wasn't supposed to say that aloud.

"There was this woman who came for Lily, her name's Sherry but... Lily got upset and then...yeah."

Artem nodded then related an incident that happened to the orphange due to a smear champaign.

"Mr. Wing are... you still looking into Professor Hume's disapearance?"
"The chances are slim, but I won't give up. I owe him that much."
"Sorry Mr. Wing."
"No need. Let's go."
"Okay."

Y/N returned to her office and started on the pile of files at her desk. She had nearly finished all of them when Artem asked her to visit him at Themis.

"I found a case file from earlier. Have a look."
"...how could this have happen?"
"The only thing remaining was for her to be approved for the adoption. However, the smear champaign doxxed her. Threats and the pressure caused her to develop severe mental illness."
"So, she wasn't able to adopt Lily."
"Yes. Even if she has recovered now, from a legal perspective, her mental illness reduces the chances of being approved."
"She also thought she couldn't give Lily the life she deserved."
"The director left this in my care and you are my partner so... how should we go about this?"
"Well I think that the children's perspectives should be considered and respected, not just the adults. So, I want to know what Lily thinks."
"Judging from Ms. Lamber's finances she may not be able to give Lily a higher quality of life. Lily should be in a family without any financial diffculties. It will be best for her."
"I know that I may not be good at this and I'm not a lawyer but-"
"I know it may sound materialistic but I am speaking as someone who is responsible for her future."

He really isn't going to budge.

"But you aren't wrong, we should hear Lily's thoughts about this."
"But you aren't wrong either-"
"Y/N my thoughts are never right nor wrong. You see things from a different perspective and that is what I'm lacking. I just hope you can be yourself."

She looked up to see his blue eyes soften just like what he had looked like infront of Lily. It comforted and calmed her to see Artem like this.

"I definatly know one thing however."
"What's that?"
"That you'll be a great partner and dad one day."

Wait... I was NOT supposed to say that aloud. Oops.

"Erm... I gotta go, bye."

Y/N quickly left like a bullet train. Once she had left Artem pulled out the 'Introduction to the Pychology of Love and Attraction'. So far it had given him nothing but headaches, which worsened when he remembered who gave him the book.

Why should I even believe this thing?