relay

"SETTLE DOWN EVERYONE!" Our homeroom teacher claps as she enters the classroom to gain our attention. Everyone scurries to their seats, especially the boys, as soon as Miss Lo enters the room. She's a foreigner from Wales, with bright green eyes, pale skin, and long brown hair. Literally model material. So when she transferred to our school, all the guys fell for her—even Jungwon sucked up to her. They all obey her like dogs, it's hilarious.

Miss Lo smiled at us all, and we smiled back. She enjoyed our company and teaching us, she treated us like her own children. "...Good morning everyoooone."

"Good morning Miss Lo!!!"

"Loving the energy today! You all must be in a good mood because you heard the news. Next week is...the schools sport festival!!"

The class all began to cheer. Well, everyone but me. I despised participating in sports fests. Every year, I'm forced to participate, and something terrible always happens to me.

2nd grade, Jungwon kicked the soccer ball at my face accidentally and knocked out one of my teeth.

3rd grade, I tripped over my own cleats running a 4x4 and broke my arm.

4th grade, I failed to dodge a dodgeball and gut hit in the stomach. Hard.

5th grade, Jungwon and I had to do the weird "three legged race", where you tie your ankles to another person. We were so bad at it that we both fell on the concrete, and scrapped and bruised every limb.

6th grade, I kicked a soccer ball to the goal post, but it hit the edge and came back at me, hitting me in the face.

7th grade, I nearly drowned in the pool as I partook in the swim relay.

8th grade, I was a blocker for volleyball, and ended up serving the ball at the ceiling and breaking the lights.

9th grade, I tried to do baseball...I got hit in the shin being the pitcher.

10th grade, I tripped over the hurdles on the track.

Let's see what happens this year.

. . .

"Thank goodness all I'm doing the relay race!!! I did not want to do anything remotely hard!!" I sigh of relief as I fall back on the field, Chang-min and Sasha eating their lunch peacefully.

"You're just lazy." Chang-min mumbles, taking a bite of his ham sandwich.

Sasha pokes at my ankles. "What part of the relay are you gonna do? It's split into 5 parts, right?"

"I'll probably do the 50 meter bean bag dash."

"No way. You should do the final leg—the 100 meter dash. You're so fast." Sasha wines.

"I told you, I don't want to do anything difficult!"

"You never want to do things the hard way! You're always trying to take the easy way out of stuff!"

"AND FOR GOOD REASON! I can't get hurt doing a bean bag dash!!! It'll be on grass!!!!"

"Hey guys."

Sasha and I stop arguing when we look up to see Jungwon take a seat on the field beside me, setting down his lunch box.

"Oh, hey."
"Sup dude."

I hated how casually they talked to him.

"What do you want?" I huff as I sit up straight, watching him take the lid off his bento.

"Why do you ask me this every time I come to eat with you? We aren't strangers you know?" He chuckled, splitting half of his rice ball with me. I instantly take it without hesitation. "Anyway, what are you guys talking about?"