Teams and Trees

By the end of the week Mezrielda and Bagsy found that sneaking off to the Eagle Club during personal study was impossible. Mistress Foncée seemed to have eyes on the back of her head. Foncée spent her time sat demurely on one of the library stools, back stiff-straight, reading a delicate book with spectacles perched on the end of her nose. She never seemed to look up from her book, except for when Bagsy and Mezrielda were creeping towards the exit, when she'd glance up and ask, curiously, where they were going and they'd mumble something non-committal and sit back down. Mezrielda would hit Bagsy with her best this is your fault scowl every time. Bagsy would feel guilty until she was walking down a corridor and would jump at a shadow or a distant noise of a painting saying 'hello there,' and had Mistress Foncée walking calmly at her side, assuring her she was safe. She also found the doors of the school didn't dare spit her back out or deny her entry with a staff member at her side, and even the rugs tripped her less than usual. But, then again, maybe Bagsy was just a clumsy person and it wasn't the rugs at all.

The best thing that happened at the end of the week was that the new Hufflepuff Quidditch team was posted on the notice board in the common room. Bagsy had finally admitted to herself she wasn't returning to her private room any time soon, the thought of sleeping alone was dreadful with Bagsy's new-found fear of the dark. She yawned and stretched her arms whilst walking out of the girl's dormitory and into the common room on Saturday morning. She was still in her pyjamas and slippers and had planned to sit down at one of the desks in the communal area and write her sister a letter. Instead, seeing the small flock of students around the notice board, Bagsy shuffled over to take a look.

New Quidditch Team:

Chasers: Katherine Hawkins, Ford Krinkle, Johnathan Krinkle

Beaters: Teresa Aviry, Bagsy Beetlehorn

Keeper: Emmeline Wirth

Seeker: Gren ('Greenda') Particularis

PS. Practise tonight at the pitch – optional

Blinking to make sure her eyes weren't mistaken, Bagsy re-read who were to be the beaters for the team. Her mouth fell open – she couldn't believe she'd made it.

Teresa, with Neve at her side, was already standing next to the board, beaming. 'I told you I'd get on the team!' she gloated to Neve, who rolled her eyes when Teresa wasn't looking.

'Of course, you did,' Neve murmured quietly. 'You definitely weren't in a state about it last night...'

Bagsy held back a giggle. Teresa had been a bit upset the night before, her fiery hair a mangled mess, her eyes a blotchy red, as she lamented her failures as a flyer.

'About time!' Jon cried, poking his finger pointedly at his name. 'Should've made it last year, but hey, at least they're rectifying the mistake.'

'Well done, Jon.' Bagsy smiled at him.

Jon smiled back. 'You too, Bagsy. I would say I'm surprised, but after you saved Emmeline's life how could you not get on the team?' With that, Jon turned and left for breakfast. Bagsy watched him leave, a horrid feeling shivering up her spine. Did she only make the team because of the incident with Emmeline's broom, and not because of her flying ability? She hated the thought.

The last line of the notice concerned Bagsy the most, though. How could practise be optional? Surely if you were on the Quidditch team you had to practise?

At breakfast Bagsy told Mezrielda the good news and Mezrielda, who had still been sulking about Mistress Foncée and her eagle eyes, brightened up a bit.