The Muggle Boy

Term was over, and it was time to head back to London Kings Cross, before Bagsy knew it. Mezrielda Glint was halted as she went to step onto the carriage that would take her to the Hogwarts express.

Bagsy, who'd already clambered onto the carriage, looked back in confusion. Mezrielda had been mid conversation with her – telling her how much she was looking forward to not having to serve detention anymore next term – when Belta Zotova, the grounds keeper, had appeared.

Fitzsimmons was standing at Zotova's side, their face severe, their large eyes fixed on Mezrielda. Bagsy's heart leapt into her throat, wondering what it was all about.

'Miss Glint,' Fitzsimmons said politely, holding out their hand in a gesture at Zotova. 'I'd like you to hand over your trunk.'

Mezrielda, with a confused look at Zotova, who was towering like a mountain of muscle over the scene, handed her trunk to the groundskeeper.

Zotova placed the trunk roughly on the floor and threw it open. Bagsy gaped at a mammoth pile of cutlery stacked within, clinking against each other incriminatingly. Looking at Mezrielda, she saw she looked equally shocked.

'The elves came up short during their end of year inventory count,' Fitzsimmons explained sadly. 'I didn't want to believe it, but you're the only student who currently has regular access to the kitchens due to the detentions you've been serving.'

'Professor Fitzsimmons,' Mezrielda said very slowly and very carefully. 'I didn't take these. I don't know how they came to be in my luggage. I'm being framed.'

Fitzsimmons blinked their large, brown eyes and pursed their lips. 'I trust that however these items may have ended up in your possession your intentions were good. But even so, clearly there is something untoward afoot and it would be remiss for me not to enact fair consequences.' Bagsy held her breath, wondering if Fitzsimmons was about to expel Mezrielda.

Zotova spoke up. 'Expulsion is the usual procedure for repeat offences like zis.'

Mezrielda and Bagsy both glared at Zotova.

Fitzsimmons cast Zotova a quick, silencing look, before turning back to Mezrielda. 'I won't be expelling you.' Bagsy let out a breath. 'Instead, starting next term, you shall continue your detentions. I shall think of a way for you to serve them that doesn't give the opportunity for more Hogwarts property to end up in your luggage, and I hope it will help you rethink the way you've been behaving this term. We both know what is on the line, Miss Glint. Do not force my hand in this matter with worse transgressions. I will keep you at Hogwarts as long as I am able but we both know there are those with more power than I in play.'

Mezrielda, shoulders sagging, gave a glum nod before climbing onto the carriage.

As Fitzsimmons was walking away they paused and turned back. 'The elves were very disappointed in you, Mezrielda. They said they had thought you were a nice girl and felt deeply betrayed.'

Mezrielda looked more upset than Bagsy had ever seen her, her nostrils flaring, lips pursed, and eyes staring holes into the seat opposite her, darting back and forth in rapid thought.

Once they stepped onto the Hogwarts express, Mezrielda barged into the nearest compartment and yelled the current inhabitants, a group of terrified first years, out. She levitated their things inside before thudding angrily down on a seat.

'I don't believe this!' she roared, kicking the side of the compartment. Bagsy sat down opposite.

'Why would someone frame you?'

'So, you don't believe me?' Mezrielda hissed, her eyes narrowing dangerously.

Bagsy looked at Mezrielda firmly. 'Did you steal them?'