Quidditch Squabbles

The next Hufflepuff quidditch match was against Slytherin and took place the second weekend after the Easter Term had begun. Bagsy, putting the sneering comments from Professor Starrett, the increasing sharpness of Professor Hilkins, and the growing feeling of inadequacy in her stomach from her mind, practised as hard as she could. She'd sent Bontie a few letters since returning to Hogwarts, mostly about the Eagle club and her failure to cast any spells, and found Bontie telling her to take her time and keep trying frustrating. Bagsy wished someone could offer her something more than just 'keep trying'. 'Keep trying' hadn't worked so far. Bontie had, however, given Bagsy Griffin's address so she could write to him about quidditch practise. Without Greenda spouting her usual quidditch knowledge and insights, Bagsy realised she'd missed receiving a regular flow of tips and tricks for the sport. Griffin filled the spot amazingly.

Each of his letters outlined different training exercises she could do on her own to improve her broom control and accuracy. As for Bagsy's fear of speed, which she'd only confided in Griffin because she was desperate to get over it, he'd advised her to fly on her broom at speeds slightly faster than she was comfortable with consistently. He said that, with enough time, she'd get used to the feeling and her fear would ebb away.

At quidditch practise, Bagsy tried to put all of his advice into use. She leant with her broom to encourage it's turning, adding a little more grip to the stirrups in her spare time to make her feel safe when doing so, and started paying attention to how the wind was working. Was it with her, or against her? Or coming at her from the side? Was it strong, or weak? Thinking over all it all whilst trying to hit bludgers towards players was very difficult and Bagsy saw a long road of 'keep trying' ahead of her. Unlike with her spell casting, though, this road was a constant progression of improvement so that, if anything, she felt excited to follow it.

On the day of the match, Bagsy sitting at the Hufflepuff table, Mezrielda shot her good luck messages with her long-distance enchantment to help with her nerves. What wasn't helping was Emmeline and Greenda.

Emmeline, when Ford wasn't paying attention, hummed the tune of the Greenda chant.

Greenda, Greenda, what shall we do? Bagsy unwillingly thought the words in her head as Emmeline began to whistle the tune.

Greenda put her knife and fork back onto her plate with a clatter, a furious expression on her face. 'Nothing will ever be enough, will it, Emmeline?' she hissed. Emmeline startled and looked at her. Bagsy was stunned, too. 'I say sorry and I grovel, and I ignore your horrible behaviour, but it's never enough. Never enough for forgiveness. Never enough for us to become friends again. I never even did anything wrong in the first place! It was all a misunderstanding!'

'As if you cared about our friendship,' Emmeline spat ruefully, 'as if you care about any friendship. All it takes is one mocking song and you start avoiding Bagsy like the plague. Some friend you are.'

Ford, having caught on, looked from one girl to the other anxiously. 'Can we have this conversation after the match?'

'No!' Greenda hissed. The people sitting around them hushed their conversations to listen in. 'We cannot have this conversation later because Emmeline feels now is the perfect time to continue her bullying! If that's what Emmeline wants, then now has to be the time I tell her I've had enough because guess what, I have.'

Something shifted in Emmeline's face. She was no longer teasing, now, she was as furious as Greenda was. Kat, sitting next to her, put a hand on her arm in the hope of calming her.

Emmeline shook her off and fixed blazing blue eyes on Greenda. 'You don't ask for forgiveness, Greenda, you expect it. What's worse is you expect it even when you continue to lie and act like you did nothing wrong, as if it had all been some big mistake. You're saying sorry, but for the wrong thing. That's the problem. I'll never forgive what you did if you never own up to it.' Emmeline slammed her plate onto the table and stood up abruptly. With a swift turn, she stalked out of the hall, her pretty blonde curls whipping behind her. Kat, with an awkward look at her food, stood up and followed her.