The Great Vermont Flood 1927, Vermont

A/N: Special Request from @Vermont_Republic which now that I think about it, makes a lot of sense considering your name. Hope you enjoy. Correct me if I'm wrong about anything. Not your opinion, actual facts. Please and thank you. ^^

Third person POV

November 2, 1927

     Massachusetts woke up that morning feeling groggy. Very groggy. She didn't know why, but assumed as usual it was because she had stayed up so late the night before forcing her father to stay in bed. He'd been paranoid about some sort of crash or whatever, and kept wanting to go checks the banks. As said before, she thinks he's just paranoid.

     It didn't bother her at first, especially when she saw her brother, Connecticut, who had helped her last night, was just as sleep deprived as she felt. She found him in the kitchen, drinking some of their father's coffee, which she thought was hidden as she could never find it herself.

     When he saw her come in, he held his hand with the coffee cup out to her, "Want the rest?"

     "You're not going to finish it?" She asked him. He simply shrugged and put the cup in her hands, "Already had my fill."

     "And how much is 'your fill' exactly?" 

     "I don't know, two cups maybe," Connecticut offered. Massachusetts looked down suspiciously at the cup which was surprisingly almost full, "And is this your third then?"

     "Nope," he said grabbing a fruit from a basket near the corner of the counter, "my fourth. Del came in and took my last cup. Didn't even say a word just swiped it out of my hands."

     "That sucks. For you at least," Massachusetts took a sip of the coffee. It was rather bitter for her tastes, which is hard to do. But then again, it was their fathers, and he likes his so bitter that even the most bitter of tea has more sugar in it. Essentially, their southern siblings would gag at the bitterness.

     Connecticut hummed a small bit in response before walking out, "It's still early, I'm going back to bed until dad wakes up. Make sure Del isn't passed out on the couch or something, he was up a little to early."

     And then he was gone. Massachusetts leaned against the counter and shrugged to herself. Delaware is always up to early. When they were younger they all had an inner clock that woke them up around 8 in the morning each day. After the Civil war, Delaware started it get up earlier than the rest. He never said why, and it never seemed to seep into his attitude towards the rest of them, so no one stopped him. However it was common to find him passed out somewhere. Normally the main room.

     Actually, when this first started, a game was made between the rest of the elder states. All of them would pick a younger sibling to go wake up their brother. The winners, the ones whose partner successfully woke up Delaware, got to pick lunch and dinner. Massachusetts wasn't going to brag or anything, but normally her and whatever sibling she picked won. After a few years though, the game died out. She supposed it was because everyone else got tired of having the same thing for dinner. Which is understandable.

     Memories were nice and all, but she had been so lost in her thoughts, that she failed to notice one of her sisters walk in. Until she heard a groan and a thump. Massachusetts spun around fast, maybe not enough to give her whiplash, but enough to make her dizzy. Way to early for that apparently. Although maybe she shouldn't have been to concerned, because really all she found was Vermont slumped over on the table.