[1] a helping hand

Levi braced himself against a wall, his head hung low. Around him the stench of blood and dying bodies punctured the air; the scent imprinting a permanent spot in his nose.

Releasing a small sigh, he slumped further to the ground, the surrounding noises a mere ringing in his ears. He didn't mind, though. The cries of the wounded and their screams whilst they were being patched back together was not very pleasant to begin with.

The captain continued staring blankly at the ground, his slate-grey gaze unwavering as he watched several pairs of shoes stalk past his vision. Some of them belonged to his fellow comrades, others were that of the countless nurses, doctors, and assistants in the room.

His ankle throbbed persistently, the skin swelling against the shape of his boot, but he didn't particularly care. His squad mates were all dead - butchered mercilessly by the female titan. He could withstand a bit of pain in exchange for their gruesome deaths.

Levi couldn't articulate how much time had passed since he first leaned against that wall, but he concluded it must have been a long while; given the amount of people in the room had thinned quite drastically. The worst of the worst still lay on cots, medically gifted individuals hovering over them like angels as the cadets begged for death. But beyond that, the white-coats and light blue uniforms outnumbered the injured soldiers.

Gritting his teeth, he placed a palm on the cool stone at his back to assist him in getting to his feet. His muscles barked in retaliation, but the worst discomfort issued from his surely mangled foot. He suspected a sprain, but it was most likely a break considering just how much pain he was in.

In a flash of white, someone was there. Levi's eyes widened ever so slightly as a firm hand braced his elbow, the other anonymous limb wrapping around him to support his waist.

The stranger's touch was feather-light and their movements were as quick and as solid as a flash of lightning.

Craning his neck, Levi side-eyed the person supporting him. A woman was there, her body amounting all of his weight. Her hard (e/c) eyes were sharp and had a gleam of severity within them - the type of eyes whom have seen death in every form. Just like his own.

Faint splatters of blood peppered her pristine ivory coat, a smudge of gore smeared on her cheek. Slight shadows of purple weighed down her eyes, but her solid frame moved with such unmatched assurance and strength that Levi didn't try to fight her as she led him away, her brace of arms never abandoning him whilst she situated a place for him to rest.

The woman eased him into a chair. She didn't waste any time partaking in small talk or questions, and Levi was glad. He didn't particularly feel like striking up conversation with the amount of grief and pain that burdened him so.

Kneeling on the stone floor, the doctor extended her hands, her small digits patting down his leg, all the way to the ruined ankle. Levi hissed at the contact and she paused her movements, only to move to unbuckling the countless straps and buckles that adorned his leg. He didn't know how she knew where to look - but Levi guessed he didn't try hiding the injury anyway.

Once his gear was off, the doctor slowly began taking off his shoe. Her movements were efficient and careful, but it wasn't a gentle process. Gritting his teeth, Levi withstood the bursts of fiery agony that wracked his foot as the woman tugged off his boot. She didn't apologize nor offer words of sympathy, and a part of Levi appreciated that. Even if he was in a lot of pain.

Once the boot was off, Levi surveyed the damage done. The skin was swollen around the area of infliction and bruises bloomed on his pale skin. The most noticeable detail, however, was the way his foot bent...it didn't look right.

The doctor didn't grimace at the injury. In fact, her features revealed nothing as she examined his broken ankle. The silence between them wasn't taught like it was when Levi was with most people. No, it was the type of silence Levi knew well. They type of silence when one was just too tired to talk at all.

The most the woman allowed was a faint hum, an off-tune melody issuing from her lips as she reached for the needed supplies. A bundle of bandages, pins, and some type of healing salve.

Accumulating some of the salve on her fingers, the doctor rubbed it between her hands and set to working it into the tendons, muscles, and bones of his foot. The woman's cold hands were swift and unfaltering, but not as soft nor delicate as one might have guessed. Levi clenched his jaw as she applied the needed pressure, sometimes applying generously in the places that ached the most. And damn, it hurt.

Once she was done, she reached for the bandages and quickly wrapped his foot, making sure to brace it correctly in the areas that needed to be realigned. Reinforcing it with pins to hold it in place, the doctor prodded slightly afterwards to asses her work. Once she was satisfied, the woman rose to her feet and reached for something inside of her pockets.

"Thank you," Levi managed stiffly, and he refrained from allowing the wonder he felt to seep into his face. The worst of the pain had been alleviated, and his foot felt like he could walk on it for short bursts of time.

The doctor merely nodded in reply, and Levi watched as she retrieved a slip of wrinkled paper and a pen from the confines of her coat. She quickly scribbled down a message and handed it to him wordlessly. Levi quickly grabbed it and read the short text.

Mandatory rest for 2-3 weeks.

[signature]

He glanced up from the paper, but the woman was already walking away from him; her hands in her pockets and loudly humming that off-key melody as she made her way to her next patient.

***

I hope you enjoyed! Stay tuned for the next part (coming soon)!