[10] come back to me

TIME SKIP:
six days after the scouts departed for Wall Rose ( note: this fanfic will not be following the original timeline and details/events will be altered <3 )

***

"How does your leg feel?"

(y/n) abruptly looked up from where her gaze was fixated on the array of buckles and equipment that adorned her body. Her (e/c) eyes quickly broke away from the ODM gear she bore and she locked stares with a female nurse whom also adorned the same contraptions.

"It twinges, but it's nothing I can't handle." (y/n) clarified simply. Muscle springs were known to be lingering injuries. (y/n) would always feel some type of discomfort in the years to come, regardless that her leg had healed to the best of its ability.

"Don't be afraid to take a break," the nurse reminded the doctor solemnly with a knowing look. "This...movement is tough enough on my already good legs. I can only imagine its somewhat painful for you."

(y/n) nodded along with the nurse's words as her hand absently reached down to rub the aching muscles and ligaments around her knee. The flare of pain was subtle, but (y/n) would need to keep her eye on it to prevent another injury.

"How do you feel about this?" The nurse inquired after a brief pause. The younger woman motioned to the buckles adorning her legs and the gear weighted around her hips. (y/n) knew that the nurse was also referencing to the idea circulating around the scout checkpoint that they remained stationed at for the time being.

For a small group of veterans had collected a specific group of doctors and nurses from time to time and instructed the selected medical staff on how to wear, maneuver, and function with ODM gear - including themselves. There was a supposed rumour going about that medical staff would soon be expected to travel with the scouts on their expeditions and possibly be assigned to squads or divisions to apply their knowledge and help.

"I'm not sure," (y/n) replied indifferently, the cool planes of her face unmoving as she eyed the gear. "If it helps save more lives I guess I can't object to it in the end."

The younger female merely nodded at her words, an absent-minded hum issuing from her mouth as she was left with her own thoughts to contemplate. (y/n) proceeded to walk a little ways away from the nurse and peered over the edge of the building on which they stood to locate her next target landing. A scout veteran was stationed at the next building and waved at (y/n) from across the space. (y/n) waved back before bending her knees slightly and readying to take off once more. The doctor's fingers graced over the triggers and (y/n) released a long breath before stepping over the edge of the tall building.

Her body leaned into the fall and wind wrapped around her frame as (y/n) twisted gracefully in the air, her arms and legs fanning out as she released the trigger. A spurt of compressed gas issued and one of hooks that were tucked away in her gear released and (y/n) was pivoted more acutely towards the target landing. The buckles around her legs and calves supported her and helped her limbs bend accordingly as she prepared to land. (y/n) fingered the trigger once more and the hook that was attached to a stone wall released and (y/n) smoothly skid onto the landing surface with both feet on the ground.

The veteran stationed there voiced their encouragement and (y/n) mirrored their action before advancing to the edge of the building to locate her next target. There was more space between the doctor and the next landing now, combined with a smaller building in the way to maneuver around.

(y/n) didn't let her mind wander too much before jumping off the landing and into the open air. Her legs drew closer to her chest as she triggered to hooks to the nearest wall. (y/n's) body spun and her body flipped mid-air as she changed positions. She now faced the next landing head-on and (y/n) released the previous hooks before aiming them at the wall closest to the next target. She stumbled slightly this time upon reaching the landing and the scout standing there reached out to steady her as she messily threw herself onto the building's roof.