[17] side by side

TROST DISTRICT

***

"Reid, you're not supposed to be here," (y/n) sighed wearily as she gazed at herself in the mirror, only to spot her husband in the background gaping at her reflection. His gaze drifting and fixating on her formal attire.

The wedding dress she adorned was nothing grand. The material was soft and simple, the length just a little too long for her frame. The thin straps dug slightly into her shoulders, and (y/n) had to pick up the dress whenever she walked to avoid ruining the hem - but (y/n) didn't care. Her and Reid were getting married and that's all that mattered in the end. She would get married to him in her scrubs if it's what it took.

Slowly turning to face him, (y/n's) slight agitation completely disappeared upon seeing the pure adoration and love written all over Reid's face.

"You look...you..." Reid shook his head and let out a warm laugh that instantaneously made (y/n) grin. "Gods, (y/n). You're stunning."

"As much as I love the flattery, seeing me in my dress is proven to be bad luck." (y/n) noted with the tilt of her head.

"To hell with it," Reid replied simply, waving a dismal hand in the air as he approached (y/n) and slung a gentle arm around her waist. "I can endure a little bit of bad luck with you at my side, anyways."

(y/n) couldn't stop the warmth spreading across her face, and she ducked her head into Reid's shoulder to try and hide it.

"Don't hide that face of yours," Reid objected softly upon noticing her attempt to hide, his body pulling enough away to reveal (y/n's) face once more. She tried to raise a hand to mask the flustered state of her face, but Reid only guided it away before she could. "You're adorable when you're flustered like that."

(y/n) then let out a nervous, twinkling laugh and tilted her head up to press a swift kiss to Reid's cheek. "Whatever you say," she murmured, the heat of her blush warming his cool, smooth skin.

Reid smiled ear to ear, his happiness brightening the room. (y/n) wanted to freeze time just then, to press a pause button and have Reid stay like that forever; happy, loving, and free-

(y/n) opened her eyes to a quiet room. The silent hours of a dark and early morning welcomed her back to the unfortunate reality; the suffocating fact that Reid was dead and that (y/n) would never lay eyes on him again, nor hear that golden laugh grace her ears. The thought punctured a hole in (y/n's) heart and pressed down on her body like a miserble burden as she reeled herself back to the present time.

And just like any other time she dreamt of Reid, (y/n) reached out a hesitant hand across the expanse of her bed, only for her fingers to grasp cold and empty sheets. And just like any other time she dreamt of him, her heart wrenched itself apart upon the feeling of holding onto nothing but stale air, and (y/n) painfully ached for her husband.

She ached for Reid. For her everything.

Just a little longer.

(y/n) was partially aware that Reid wouldn't want her to be sad, to linger over his death like a lost child. But it was truly so very, very hard to move past someone who had done so much for her and never asked for anything in return.