[22] empty

TROST DISTRICT
***
also: Levi's eyes are so beautiful :')
***

It's better to feel pain than nothing at all, (y/n) supposed as she stalked away from the cemetery, the cool, dark air of the slowly approaching night prompting her back as if it, too, wanted her to step away. It's better to feel something than just blatant emptiness.

Right?

The doctor liked to think that, that feeling this immense grief was somehow better than not feeling it in the slightest. (y/n) liked to think that it showed she cared, and gods, she cared.

She cared rather endlessly that Reid had died and that their child was awfully quick to follow a similar fate. She cared about it so, so much.

Rubbing at her face, (y/n) attempted to soothe the sting on her cheeks, which was a result of the monumental amount of salty tears. Her throat ached terribly from the prolonged amount of time she spent crying her heart out and (y/n) suddenly felt a lot more exhausted than she did before.

Levi was a solid presence at her shoulder and his smooth pace was just a step a step behind her own. The captain was far enough away that it granted (y/n) the space and the time to think, but he was also close enough that (y/n) knew she wasn't alone and that she had someone at her side the entire time.

Drawing in a shaky breath, (y/n) spared a glance over her shoulder and was not surprised to see Levi was already looking at her - as if he had been for a while now and was patiently waiting for the exact moment when (y/n) would meet his gaze.

The captain's eyebrows pinched with silent question and (y/n) slowed enough that her pace met his exactly. Her (s/c) hand then absently reached past the folds of the green cloak draped around her shoulders to grasp Levi's pale, cool fingers. Her fingers intertwined with his in a silky, smooth fashion and (y/n) had the slight notion that Levi's scarred hands were molded just for her to hold them, as weird as it was to admit.

Levi did not rebuke, flinch, or stiffen as (y/n) slowly grasped a hold of his hand. It appeared as if he was slowly accustoming to her unique touch, to her affection that he was never given a chance to accustom to otherwise.

The pair then proceeded to walk in silence, Levi's thumb shifting to run soothing lines against the back of (y/n's) hand whilst they made the way back to the scout headquarters. (y/n) knew Levi was curious about everything that had happened, but she also knew that the captain would be patient with her and would wait for her to tell him when she wanted to.

Upon arriving, (y/n) made to pull away and retreat to her own quiet, empty, and lonely quarters, but Levi kept a gentle hold on her hand in silent retaliation.

"You shouldn't be by yourself tonight," the captain intoned solemnly as he directed their shared course to his own room. "You aren't okay, (y/n), and it would be cruel of me to leave you by yourself."

(y/n) wanted to object, to relinquish Levi's touch and retreat to her own room, and mourn in her own sadness until dawn like she had so many times before. But that was when she had no friends and little to no connection with her family...now she had Levi. Levi - who wouldn't do anything she didn't want to and would always be there when she needed him most.

And as much as (y/n) wanted to simply comply, no questions asked - a part of her felt guilty and hesitant to accept such a careful offer.