[8] look after you

Levi watched (l/n) carefully as he helped the doctor to her feet. The scout messenger provided acute details from the previous titan ambush, but failed altogether to mention (l/n's) and that of several other people's injuries. The cold captain decided he would have a word with that particular man when all of this was done.

Wrapping a hand around the woman's waist, Levi lead (l/n) out of the abandoned home and onto the small stretch of open grass that contained Hange's squad and their horses. Levi felt the doctor stiffen beneath his touch as she beheld the open outdoors once more, no doubt recounting the previous attack over and over again inside her head. Levi wanted to assure her, or perhaps say something that would wipe that scared look off of her face, but even humanity's strongest couldn't make a promise considering the world in which they lived.

Daisy spotted him from her position by a crumbled wood shed and hastily trotted over. The mare's midnight pelt shone and rippled in the afternoon light as her powerful muscles feathered with the movement. The horse stopped short in front of them and inclined her head to sniff (l/n) thoroughly. Satisfied and detecting no threat, Daisy inched a little bit closer and relaxed, waiting idly for whatever came next.

(l/n) eyed the tall mare before her. Her injured leg surely wouldn't make it a comfortable journey back, but nothing Levi couldn't do in the moment would make it better. They would simply have to work with what they had.

Guiding (l/n) so that her non-injured side faced the mare firsthand, Levi then proceeded to stabilize her as she hooked her okay leg in the stirrups before reluctantly swinging her other limb over Daisy's opposing side. The doctor grimaced as pain lashed through  her leg, but she didn't lean out of Levi's touch until she was fully situated and as comfortable as she could manage. 

Levi then mounted Daisy himself and slid smoothly behind (l/n) before leaning forwards to grab the reins. The doctor didn't seem to mind the close contact, and Levi could have sworn she leaned a little further against him as he guided Daisy to the front of the group, as the inevitability of the open plains drew near.

From there, Levi surveyed the company as scouts secured whatever supplies had been saved to either their horses or packs they wore on their backs. Medical staff proceeded to pair up with a scout atop a horse, or mount one of the few that had survived the previous attack.

After a few more moments of rushed preparation, a few members of Hange's squad trotted over to Levi and gave him the okay to lead the group back to the walls.

Levi exchanged few words with them, but refrained from saying anything else as he leaned into the reigns, (l/n's) back a solid presence against his chest, and proceeded to urge Daisy forwards onto the long stretch of grass ahead.

***

(y/n) watched as the scouts smoothly broke into their regular formation, scattered nurses and doctors closely trailing behind. The regular, amazing speed of the horses was slowed down slightly by the baggage and additional riders that a good many mares bared. However, the horses were still quick and able to outrun any titan that crossed their path if it should happen.

Daisy was a smooth streak of black pelted muscle beneath the two riders she bore. The horse's sure footing and sheer power procured a smooth ride. Even if (y/n's) injured leg annoyed the doctor to no end, Levi kept to his word in that the horse would make it as manageable as could be.

But beside that, (y/n) was nothing but a bundle of nerves. Adrenaline peaked through her in rushes as her mind replayed the previous titan attack over in her head. Blood everywhere . A scouts head being bitten clean off. A horse's corpse colliding with her steed - a crushing weight pressing down on her leg.