[21] but here i am, next to you

TROST DISTRICT
***

1k reads?!?!?
Thank you so much to all who have read this story - i am so happy to share my writing with you!!<3

I never expected this fic to get this much love...but, here I am, getting proved wrong time and time again :,)

***

"...I need to say goodbye to someone first," (y/n) intoned in a quiet tone. The doctor willed the ache inflicting on her heart to lessen as her (e/c) eyes roamed past the courtyard, past the stone building, and towards the simple cemetery that was not very far off.

(y/n) never thought twice before taking up an assignment in Trost just for that reason. For when she was in Trost - her dead baby was never too far away. In fact, her child was just a twenty minute walk from this very spot.

And (y/n) never would have bothered to bother Levi as she did just then if her situation wasn't something important. She was awfully aware that his duties as a captain called him to act fast and in accordance with everything else going on in the scout regiment. But...(y/n) did not know when she would be back - if she would be back - and it felt wrong to leave without saying goodbye to the one individual she had come to love so very much.

(y/n) did not know a single thing about her child; if they were a boy or a girl, if they had Reid's eyes or her smile...(y/n) didn't know anything and yet she loved them perhaps more than Reid and definitely a lot more than anything else the world had to offer.

"I won't take long," (y/n) assured in a self-conscious voice as she registered Levi's gaze weighing down on her out of the corner of her eye. "I just really need to do this, just this once."

(y/n) didn't know why she expected Levi to say no - because a part of her knew he wouldn't, and not in a cocky sense, no. (y/n) simply knew because Levi was the type of person to understand, to relate.

"It's alright," Levi assured plainly. "You have time. You don't need to rush whatever it is you need to do. I'll wait."

I'll wait.

(y/n) knew all too well that she did not have forever. She did not, in fact, have all the time she wished she had and knew very well Levi was aware of such. But even so, Levi being willing to wait for her, his acceptance in allowing her to do this, to take up his supposed time...it made (y/n) feel better.

"Thank you, Levi," (y/n) replied solidly as she stood. "It means a lot to me."

It truly did. Eli did not stay with her, nor did he ever wait for her. Reid had...but Reid was not here to do either of those things anymore.

Levi only nodded and then proceeded to stand with her. (y/n) noted just then that their hands were still intertwined, Levi's pale and cool skin a solid presence against her palm.

The captain, too, seemed to notice just that and (y/n) felt his grip on her hand loosen ever so slightly with question, his body unsure whether to let go or keep holding on.

But (y/n) silently finished that unfinished thought for him and only held on tighter. Her touch did not hurt him, though, it was merely an unspoken message that she did not want him to let go. She was not ready to be alone just yet.