3

-WARNING: SPOILER ALERT-

Demon Slayer: Final Battle "Shinobu and Giyuu"

*What Giyuu felt after Shinobu died

            Shinobu was an exceptional hashira, a powerful one, but not too strong. When Doma hugged her so tight, she could only think of four things. Her sister, Kanae, if she dies, she will see her again, though it might bring about the destruction of the world, but honestly, she did not care. Kanao, her tsuguko, her apprentice, she's just a kid and who would take care of her if she was gone. The family she built, and the Butterfly Estate, Aoi, Sumi, Naho, and Kiyo, who would take care of them. And the last person she could think of and was confused about why she was thinking of that person was, Giyuu. True, sometimes Shinobu resented Giyuu for always choosing to be alone. He was always by himself. They were both hashiras and demon hunters, they should get along, but a part of her also understood Giyuu's position. They would often fight — especially, when Shinobu would bully him, which was fun for her — but Shinobu had only wish Giyuu would talk more than he usually did. She wished he could just speak words to her and share something meaningful. She heard that Giyuu's sister was supposed to get married, but then died, because she saved Giyuu's life. A peach-haired boy named, Sabito, also died, because he saved Giyuu and countless others from demons in the final selection. She lost a sister, so she would be able to understand him, but it felt like he didn't want to be understood. She might have listened to Giyuu and Tanjiro's conversation and Giyuu saying he doesn't belong with the amazing hashiras. Shinobu thought that was barbaric and stupid, of course, he belonged with them, he was great. He's an amazing swordsman and his swordsmanship is quite exceptional. Shinobu admits that she sometimes thinks badly about Giyuu, for being arrogant and for being a snob, but she would always find something good inside. Shinobu didn't know how to approach him and say the right words. A lot of times, she was even nervous being around Giyuu. Truthfully, she hated the feeling. She certainly wasn't like that when she was younger, she was Aoi, so stubborn and always so bossy. Now, she had become like her sister, which suited her deep personality. She was always angry and that was true, but when her sister said to always smile, it struck her and that was what she did. She never stopped smiling, hiding her anger towards demons always killing people. Tanjiro was the only who confronted her about being angry. Tanjiro had quite the keen nose.

            Confused at what to do in her current situation, she wanted to break free, but she knew it was her end. She was going to die. It was her intention to, she needed to kill the very demon that killed her sister. Just as Kanao entered the room, Doma broke Shinobu's back resulting in her death. Kanao was heartbroken, but before Shinobu died, she told Kanao something by her hand, a gesture, a signal perhaps. Kanao knew what it meant, but it was too late to save her master.

Before the battle with Muzan, Shinobu had helped Tamayo with the cure for Nezuko and a poison that would possibly stop Muzan. Shinobu also consumed a heavy amount of wisteria poison if she ever was to encounter a demon. She was most likely to get eaten, she knew that, and she intended for the demon to get killed. She instructed Kanao to keep it quiet and to follow her every order.

            Giyuu and Tanjiro kept running in the infinite castle. They needed to get to Muzan, before he could kill Tamayo. A crow, then flew and gave the news, which left both Tanjiro and Giyuu speechless. Giyuu felt something in the pit of his stomach. It seemed like he himself wanted to die, because of this horrible news. His eyes were filled with rage and regret. How on earth could have they killed Shinobu? He thought to himself. He was angry. He wanted to kill whoever killed Shinobu, but they only had one goal and that was to kill Muzan so that the others could die with him. They had an order they needed to execute.

            Giyuu thought of a time where he wanted to speak to Shinobu. Although Shinobu can be bossy sometimes and a little bit annoying, her aura made Giyuu want to talk to her and see her. It was the most beautiful thing he could possibly do for himself. They always had missions together and it was charming for Giyuu's part, though they would always fight. Maybe that was the best part. They were so different from each other, but it somehow felt they had a platonic relationship. "You are so annoying", Giyuu would say. "Well, that's why people don't like you, right? You make bad remarks about them", Shinobu would spat out. He would just roll his eyes and turn around to smile privately. He was visibly shocked at the news and could not accept it. Why? Why did she die? It kept echoing in his head. He started to regret those times when he stopped by the Butterfly Mansion, but did not do anything. He regretted those times of annoying her by not talking or not acknowledging her presence, acting all snob. He regretted not talking to her. But mostly, the one thing he regretted the most... was not being able to say that he loved her.

            Yes, he did love her. Maybe not from the start, but as they kept on going to missions together, he understood her and she understood him. They both had lost sisters they loved the most, it was something they will always have in common. If only he could have hold her hand, then maybe, he would have been satisfied. Shinobu felt the same. Right before she died, she regretted keeping quiet about how she loved Giyuu, too. She was giving clues, but Giyuu was too much of a snob to notice. Or maybe he had noticed, he just did not care. Shinobu didn't let herself think badly about him on the brink of her death, he was good and she knew that. "Ki o tsukete, Giyuu-san", she said right before Doma consumed her.

During battle with Akaza, Giyuu did not pay much attention to him, he just imagined that he was the demon that killed Shinobu, even though Akaza is an Upper Rank Demon 3 and not 2. As they fought, he did not think of anything else, besides Shinobu and the protection of his friends. It felt as if Shinobu's spirit was watching over him as he was fighting. He felt his aura. He felt relieved and it made him stronger.

Maybe both of them were not meant to be together this time. If they were somehow reincarnated together, they might have a chance. He mourned her. He has lost a lot of his loved ones, but at least he got say a few things to them. He reminded them that he loved them every day, but not Shinobu. If only they've said their goodbyes and confessed their truths, maybe they could have been something. Maybe someday, they will.

"Another time then, Shinobu".