Nightmares

The harsh smell of plastic was all that filled your senses as the small malleable balls engulfed your body. A river of rainbow, but there was no gold at this one's end, only darkness. You had to move, to get out of the ball pit, you had maybe seconds before Moon would catch you. Heart racing, you made yourself react, but your legs refused to listen. They were off balance and shocked into weakness, trying to make them push through an endless sea of balls seemed almost impossible. Feeling helpless, you used the last bit of strength you could possibly muster, and surfaced.

Blinking away the haze, it took you a moment to realize that the lights in the Daycare had been turned back on. That could only mean one thing.

"Oh there you are Sunshine!" Sun's cheerful voice sent a shock through your body. He was standing over by the play structure. "Are you swimming in the ball pit without me?"

"Sun-..!" Ignoring your wobbly legs, you ran out of the pit and over to Sun. You didn't wait for him to say anything else, you just collided with the robot, and wrapped your arms around his waist.

"OH..!" He seemed taken off guard by this, concern spreading across his face. "(Y/N), are you alright?"

You sank into his warmth, pressing your face into the soft fabric that was his waist skirt. You couldn't find your voice, the rush of anxiety still running high through your veins. You closed your eyes, and felt Sun lower you both down to the floor. His arms were around you now, the brush of his fingers gently rubbing up and down the length of your back.

"(Y/N).." He said softly, "I wouldn't have let Moon hurt you, you're okay now."

Tears welled up in your eyes, but you held them in. You had been seconds away from being caught by Moon, the answer to what he would have done to you, was left a mystery.

"Sun I-.." You finally looked up at the bot, and when your eyes met his, your sense of awareness pooled back in. You'd run to him, the same robot that had just tried to kill you, now had you in his lap.

You gasped and pried yourself out of his grasp, scuttling backwards.

"Sunshine?" He asked, his voice filled with worry. "You're okay now, he's gone..I promise."

"Gone?" You said breathlessly, "YOU are right in front of me!" Prying yourself backwards still, you crawled away from him, desperate to put distance between you.

You weren't sure what had made you trust this robot, but that trust had been shattered the moment he tried to harm you. You had to get out of the Daycare, you'd never come back to this place. Sun's expression fell, he seemed genuinely hurt that you couldn't stand to be near him, but he didn't attempt to reach out to you. The sadness quickly faded, his face hardening into aggression.

"MOON! Look what you've done! They are terrified of us now!" Sun stood up and put his hands to his face, "We tried so hard to make a new friend," he covered his eyes as he paced, thrashing his head back and forth. He seemed to be fighting with himself, his voice a mixture of both as he snarled and whined.

Taking the opportunity, you scrambled to your feet and took off in a run towards the door. You'd make it if he stayed distracted. An unstable robot in this place was never a good sign, you'd have to report the faulty behavior to your supervisor. That means Sun could be scrapped and replaced with a new model, but you weren't sure if that was truly what you wanted. Looking back over your shoulder, you could see Sun holding himself, struggling with an internal battle that you'd never understand. How a machine of his caliber ended up watching kids, the answer to that wasn't something you could possibly fathom. Though you could have sworn you saw him glance at you as you ran, the despairing look in his eyes snagged at your heart. They pleaded with you, but you turned your head back forward and kept running.