Chapter 8 - Final Chapter

*Author's Note* We've reached the final chapter, my friends. I want to thank you all for following the wild ride of Marlena and Sheriff Russell Randall. I want to give a special thanks to two very special friends. You two helped inspire this incredible tale and also supported me through this. You gave me the courage and little nudges here and there when I needed them to actually breathe life into what started as just a little spark of inspiration from one simple photo. Thank you both, from the bottom of my heart.

The next morning, even the early morning Texas sun seemed to know that something was coming as it hid behind the clouds, barely daring to peek out now and then. Early before dawn a convoy of black armored escalades had crossed the border, making their way into Marfa, surrounded by armed mercenaries, putting all of the townspeople on edge. Everyone stayed in doors, far from harms way, they knew exactly who it was and no one wanted anything to do with him. Most of the town had seen Valenciano at some point or another, but never had seen him arrive with this much force before. It was obvious that Romero Valenciano was expecting a war. Marlena had been woken up by the shrill sound of Russell's phone ringing again and again in the early morning before the sun had rose. She'd picked it up and handed it to him, watching as he'd answered it, getting up and getting dressed while he listened to the person on the other end of the line. Still on the phone, Russell had reached under her bed and grabbed her bag she always had packed and tossed it to her, mouthing one word with what almost looked like fear in his eyes. "Go." She'd quickly obeyed and gotten dressed, grabbing her bag and kissing him one last time before rushing to her car. She didn't know where she was going, simply driving as the sun began to rise, finally pulling over once she'd to several towns over, glancing at her back and seeing the envelope sticking out of the pocket and picking it up, seeing her name scrawled on it in Russell's handwriting. She picks it up, running her fingers over it, confused by the weight of it as she opens it, pulling out the letter and then tipping the envelope over in her palm, gasping as there in her hand, shining in the early morning sun was his polished brass badge. Her heart seized as she held it, her palm burning almost like it had branded her, memories of the feeling of it pressed into her skin crossing her mind, making her body shiver as he raises it to her lips, a tear running down her cheek. She had to fight herself not to turn her car around and run right back to him, but he'd given her an order and she wouldn't disobey him now. If he was giving her this, it only meant one thing. She fights tears as she holds the badge and slowly opens the letter, finding a business card for a bank in South Dakota with a safety deposit number written on it and an account number. Confused, she sets it aside for now and begins to read the letters. 

"Marlena, my sweet doll,

This was just a matter of time, I guess. I knew one or the other you'd end up with this letter. I could only keep it up for so long. I've been playing both sides for too long, baby girl. I thought it was the only way to keep you safe, but it ended up being the easiest way to put you in danger because I couldn't keep myself away from you, my little temptation. That's what you are, you know that? Now, don't you dare come back here, baby girl. No matter what happens and no matter what happens to me. I take that card and you run. You'll know what to do when you see what's in the box. 

Russell" 

It was such a short to the point letter, so final. She knew without saying it directly, he was saying goodbye. Her tears fell on the paper, smearing the ink. It was so like Russell. He never used a lot of words, always relying on actions, on touches to speak for him. She picks the card back up, holding it in her hand and looking at it, memorizing the address before starting to drive again. 

Back in Marfa, Russell stood at the window of Marlena's apartment, watching as black vehicle after black vehicle filed down the street, lining the street, surrounding the building. He had made the preparations needed, had gotten as many people out of the building as he could. He pulled his shirt on, and then a brown leather jacket, forgoing anything that represented the state of Texas or the county of Presidio. This business was private, between him and the piece of shit cartel he'd fucked over. He watches out the window as Valenciano exits one of the vehicles, cutting an intimidating figure even if he was only 5 ft 10, his eyes piercing as the cartel looked up at the window, straight at Russell. Russell didn't flinch, looking right back at him. He was going to stand his ground. He made his bed, now he'd lie in it. Marlena was out of range of the downfall and even though he didn't care about her, so was Susannah. He poured himself a glass of whiskey and moved out to the kitchen, sitting at the kitchen table, facing the door as he pours himself a glass of whiskey and sets the bottle on the table along with his service weapon, his spare pistol hidden in the waistband of his jeans, covered by his coat. He waits patiently, knowing it's only a matter of time before Valenciano and his men make their appearance.