She sat in the passenger seat of her aunts car, watching the cars pass by on the freeway as they headed to the airport. Her eyes were dull, a reflection of the trauma she had endured throughout her short life. The sleeves of her worn out black sweater were pulled up to cover her hands, as one hand was lazily holding her head up.

Her aunt was rambling about safety and the sort next to her, going on and on about what she needed to do when in the airport.

The airport. Where she would be getting on a plane and heading back to her home country. Heading back to her father. She hadn't seen her father in years, only having video calls during holidays or the occasional random call. She stared at a plane that was departing to who knows where, her anxiety about the coming days and meetings setting into her bones. Her hand subconsciously twisted itself around the hem of her grey and black plaid skirt, and she chewed on her bottom lip while her mind raced. She flinched when her aunt put her hand against her arm.

"Kira. What happened isn't your fault. Don't blame yourself, it will just bring you down." Beatriz told the girl. The older woman knew that everything would take its toll on the teenager, especially with the loss of her closest friend.

Kira listened quietly, choosing to continue staring out the window silently, as she had done the whole drive. She knew her mistakes, believing everything was her fault. It didn't matter what her aunt told her, she already had it in her mind that she was to blame. The authorities covered up the details, hid the truth from the world, and were sending Kira back to her home country. Back to her father.

"Kira, are you even paying attention?" Beatriz asked, pulling the car into the parking space. Kira hummed her reply, causing her aunt to frown at her. "Akira. Look at me."

Rolling her eyes, Kira turned at took in her aunts features. The light brown hair curled at the ends, golden eyes with flecks of green mirroring her own, freckles littering her cheeks and nose. The woman had taken care of her after her mother's death, the loss of Kira's mother hitting the family hard. Her father had asked Beatriz to raise Kira until she was old enough to control and use her quirks without harm to herself or the world. However, he had pushed the reunification of the pair further and further back, leaving Kira in a whole different country, not that Kira minded. Her friends were here.

Key word, were.

The event that happened only a month prior caused Kira to lose most of her friends. One was lost forever, and the others, she wasn't allowed to contact. Most of the details had been covered up by authorities, the police sweeping the facts under a rug as the heroes pretended like it was a training exercise.

As if they could let a teenager die during a training exercise.

Kira knew the facts though. She knew the details they tried to cover up.

But she had to go with the system and get put in a school to eventually go do the same thing that those heroes did. Massive cover ups for the 'sake of keeping the peace.'

Kira wondered how anyone could tolerate it.

"Kira. You need me, I'm only a phone call away. Got it? I don't care about international phone fees. Call me. I'll come over to visit soon. Please, don't get involved with them or anyone like them again. Next time might have even worse consequences." Beatriz pleaded with her niece.

Kira nodded, taking a second to gather herself before opening the door. It was time. She had to get through security then find her gate, but it was still time to go to her home country. Beatriz helped her get her bags checked and went through security with her, going all the way to the gate and waiting with the teenager until the gate upended for boarding.

Not much was said between the two, and when it came time for Kira to board, Beatriz embraced the young woman. "Be good. It's a straight shot to Japan from here. Your dad should be at the airport when you arrive."

Kira nodded. She twisted so her head was hidden in her aunt's chest before mumbling her statement. "Thank you for taking care of me. I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused."

"Darling, you don't have to thank me. I'm happy that I got to have these years with you. As for what happened, try to move on, won't you? It does not do well to dwell on the past and forget to live your life." Beatriz placed a hand on Kira's cheek and caressed it with her thumb.

"Did you just quote-"

"Yes, I did, now go through that gate before it closes and you miss your flight. Let me know when you touch down." Beatriz gave Kira's hand a final squeeze before turning her around and ushering her towards the gate.

"Ok, ok, I'm going, Aunt B." Kira shook her head at her aunt's antics, but smiled nonetheless.

And with a final wave from the entrance, Kira boarded the plane, beginning the next chapter of her life.

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

895 words
This is the new version of Changling, feel free to read the old version, but the writing is poor and there's a lot of mistakes throughout the story. This version will be written in third person point of view, versus the previous first person.
I hope you enjoy and please feel free to leave a vote and comment.