Chapter Four

*Black boots and black jacket instead.

"I thought you were a musician." Anna laughed as she and Bonnie walked into the Grill. They had spent a couple hours at a Karaoke studio near by, and had decided to have dinner before the evening ended.

"I am, but I never said I could sing."

"Did you see the way the lady at the desk stared at us when we left?"

Bonnie laughed and nodded. "You were pretty good though."

"Pretty good?" Anna questioned. "I killed it."

"Alright cocky."

Anna gave her an exaggerated offended look, and then she broke out into song. "And I'm here, to remind you. Of the mess you left when you went away." She sang. Bonnie put her hand on her forward in embarrassment when people glanced over at them. Anna either didn't notice the stares or didn't care about them.

"It's not fair, to deny me. Of the cross I bear that you gave to me." Bonnie continued in song, her vocals quieter and no where near as smooth as Anna's.

"You, you, you oughta know." They finished together, laughing as they sat down at an empty table. "

Anna sighed. "The last time I did karaoke, I was in New York."

"Oh god, I'm so jealous." Bonnie said. "You know I've never even left Virginia."

"You're still young, you have all the time in the world to see the world."

Bonnie's eyebrows furrowed a little at the young comment. She figured that having to move every few months made you feel older than you really were. "Yeah, but you've had so many adventures."

"Adventures are one thing, but you have something I've never really had," Anna said. "Stability, a place to call home, friends."

Bonnie smiled sympathetically. "How long has your mum been in the military?" Anna looked away from her, her shoulders going tense. "I'm sorry if you don't want to talk about her, I should have asked first."

"No, it's okay." Anna said, taking a breath. "It feels like forever...but if all goes well, I'll get to see her again pretty soon."

Bonnie nodded.

They ordered food and spent the next hour eating and talking. When Bonnie finally got the chance to spill away with the excuse of using the bathroom she tentatively called Elena. This was tradition for her, Elena and Caroline. Whenever any of them had a first date, they'd have a three-way phone call and share all the details. Caroline was out of town visiting her dad, but the sentiment was still the same. Her calling felt like she was admitting that this was a date, or at least she wanted it to be.

Elena picked up on the third ring. "Okay, I'm alone. Give me all the deets, Bonnie. I'm dying."

"Well don't get too excited because I'm still not sure if this is even a date."