-7-

"loving you is
like a battle
and we both
end up scarred"

|| MARIA||

i blinked a few times as i heard my alarm woke me up, sighing as i checked the time seeing it was 5:55. "mase," i whispered as i tapped his shoulder. he groaned in response. "you have training," i chuckled. "i'm too hungover for this," Mason groaned. "that's why you don't drink," i shrugged. "i know," he sighed. "come on," i smiled, pulling his hand. "what did i do last night," he asked as we walked into the kitchen. "wait, come here," i chuckled as we walked over to the mirror, showing him the hicky's on his neck.

"no," Mason gasped. "two girls last night, and even better, you decided to call me and tell me, that's why i came and collected you," i shrugged. "you're joking," he groaned. "i'm not, embarrassing for you, i have so much to enlighten you on," I rolled my eyes. "yeah?" he asked. "yeah," i nodded. "how much," he teased as he began to tickle me between my ribs, i ran away from him with a smile on my face. "enlighten me then, darling," he chuckled. "you decided to do a really inspiring speech at the pub," i winked with a smirk.

"oh my god," mason's eyes widened. "next MLK," I raised an eyebrow. "rude, i would never cheat on a black woman with a white woman," he glared. "shouldn't cheat on anyone regardless," i shrugged. "that's cold," he sighed. "you got up in front of everyone and declared your love to me," I smirked. "shut up," his eyes widened. "i'm not joking," i pursed my lips. "shit," he ran his hand over his face. "it's fine, mase, i don't mind," i chuckled, tapping his shoulder. "nah, mar i'm sorry," he sighed. "i promise you it's completely fine," i assured him, smiling.

"why did i do that," mason shook his head. "because you're an idiot sometimes. you have training in two hours, go have a shower, act like it didn't happen. i wont bring it up again, you're good," i shrugged. "why are you being so sweet to me," he moved a strand of hair behind my ear. "i have a thing for weak guys," i smiled. mason chuckled in response, pressing a kiss into my forehead. "i'll see you in a bit," he smiled. i nodded in response. this whole situation was so messy, but, we were there for each other.

we arrived at St. George's Park after collecting mason's car and Gareth and my dad called mason and i into the office. "all right," i asked. i looked over at mason and he looked just as nervous as i felt. "no, there's a video of mason shouting in the middle of a pub in cobham, what's that about," Gareth raised an eyebrow. "I can explain-" i began. "no, i want mason to talk," Gareth cut me off. "then why am i hear," I asked. "to prove a point," My dad chimed in. "what's that supposed to mean," i asked, confused.

"that you are willing to put everything on the line by putting other people before you," Gareth responded. "oh my god," i groaned. they did this all the time, it was no big deal, i was willing to cover for the people i cared about, and i cared about mason. "you wanted to talk then talk, Maria," my dad shrugged. "i got too drunk and mason was upset and needed to collect me from the pub, that's all," i shrugged. "you're so full of shit," my dad scoffed. "hey," i gasped. "chris-" Mason began. "don't even try it," gareth interrupted.

"gareth-" I groaned. "no maria. mason, what were you thinking? this girl has done so much for you, supported you through everything, since the beginning of your career, she made sure i paid attention to you, she saw potential in you before anyone dad, she believed in you. you repay her by shouting about her as if she's an object in the middle of a pub, pissed up on a day before training, someone recorded it and now it's got posted everywhere. do you have no shame, i think of this girl like a daughter and i wont-" Gareth ranted.

"oh my days, stop. why do you lot always do this? you guys are so protective, it's fine. he got drunk, he had a day off, he's young, he was having fun, it was a mistake, everyone makes mistakes," I shrugged. "mason, you're lucky you're not being sent back home," Gareth scoffed. "i'm sorry," mason looked at the ground. "you're disappointing everyone around you, you're disappointing your parents, your manager, your coaches, your teammates, you're disappointing maria, she'd never tell you but you see it in her eyes. you've hurt her," gareth spat. i'd never seen him like this before.

"you can never admit your feelings for each other, ever. it's effecting everyone around you, you can't concentrate mase, this is turning so ugly. you have so much potential, but, you sleep around to try and distract yourself from who you're actually in love with! and you've finally admitted it and your'e just hurting her! you don't deserve to be sent home, you're an amazing player and you're an even better person, but you're acting terribly, this is a side of you i've never seen before and i don't want to see it anymore, now go and train," Gareth scolded.

I couldn't bare the look on mason's face, he looked gutted. this was really unlike gareth, he very rarely got upset with the players. Mason and I began to walk out but gareth stopped me. "maria, stay here," i heard. i froze and turned around to face him and my dad. Mason nodded at me as he walked out. "are you okay," gareth asked me. "why did you say all of that to him," i sighed as he sat down. "i said what he needed to hear. he needs to sort this whole situation out, maria," Gareth responded to me.

"i know but-" I began. "maria, we're saying this to him because we care about him and we care about you, this has been going on for so long, it's effecting his playing and he's distracted, he's clearly not focused and at the same time he's hurting you," My dad explained. "i know, but- he doesn't mean it in a bad way, he's just confused," i stuttered. "stop doing that," Gareth rolled his eyes. "what" i groaned. "defending him because you don't want him to get in trouble. we're doing this for his sake, i promise you", Gareth assured me.

"can i go now," i asked. "yeah, get out," grareth smiled. "fuck yourself," i chuckled. i walked out of his office and frowned as i saw mason waiting for me, a test streaming down his face. i walked over to him and wrapped my arms around him as he rested his head on my shoulder, i rubbed my hand up and down his back as he sniffled into my shoulder. "i'm sorry, mar," Mason whispered. "don't be stupid, mase," i scolded. "he's right, i've hurt you haven't i," He asked. "it doesn't matter right now, go train," i told him.

"dec said it too," Mason explained. "i know," i whispered. "i don't know what's going on with me right now though, Mar. this isn't me, i'm not usually like this i'm just being stupid, i promise i'll change and i'll do better," he assured me. "this isn't about me right now, this is about you, this is about your job. you need to train, you have alot to do," i explained. "what do you mean," he asked. "i'll see you tomorrow, okay? i'm gonna go home," i told him. "please don't do that" he began. "it's fine," i assured him.